The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Being bored this afternoon, I was thumbing through some old posts on another board and saw a
couple of plays you put up for discussion. Play #2 about the false start at the end of the game, in
particular, I was unsatisfied with the answers given. What was the outcome of your discussion
and/or what is the official answer? Thanks.

For the rest of you here is the play:

Tie game with time running out. A's ball 1st and goal at B's 2 yard line. The clock is running. A64
is
called for a false start with 2 seconds remaining on the clock. If the penalty is accepted by B,
does
A receive an untimed down if the clock expires before they can get the next play off?
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69

Being bored this afternoon, I was thumbing through some old posts on another board and saw a
couple of plays you put up for discussion. Play #2 about the false start at the end of the game, in
particular, I was unsatisfied with the answers given. What was the outcome of your discussion
and/or what is the official answer? Thanks.

For the rest of you here is the play:

Tie game with time running out. A's ball 1st and goal at B's 2 yard line. The clock is running. A64
is
called for a false start with 2 seconds remaining on the clock. If the penalty is accepted by B,
does
A receive an untimed down if the clock expires before they can get the next play off?

NO! There is no untimed down in this situation. The period is extended because of a penalty only if it was for a foul committed DURING THE LAST TIMED DOWN OF THE PERIOD, and there was penalty acceptance. In order for it to occur during the down it must happen after the ball is snapped and before it is declared dead at the end of the play.
In this situation, A had better be on the line and ready to snap the ball when it is declared ready (after being set for a full second of course) or the clock will be allowed to expire.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Not under NFHS rules...
The period is extended for an untimed down because the foul occurred during the last timed down and the penalty was accepted. Team B would be better off declining the penalty and Mr Ref better tell him that option.
Case book 3.3.3 Situation A.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Not under NFHS rules...
The period is extended for an untimed down because the foul occurred during the last timed down and the penalty was accepted. Team B would be better off declining the penalty and Mr Ref better tell him that option.
Unless you can convince me otherwise Tom, I'm going to have to disagree with you. The penalty, a false start, didn't occur during the down. It occurred prior to the snap. A down doesn't begin until the ball is snapped. Therefore, there is no untimed down.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, you may be right.. false start is a dead ball foul. The same would be true if Team B fouls prior to the snap.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Since A64 committed the false start before the down, acceptance of the penalty will not extend the period (3-3-3a).

However, if B committed encroachment and in the opinion of the referee the act was purposefully done in order to consume time 3-6-3 could be applied. The referee would order the clock to be stopped and started on the snap to allow team A to get the play off.

In a close game where the play could mean something, that would require one heck of a sales job!
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

I guess my main question was why they didn't get a chance with two seconds on the clock. I never thought the untimed down was an option. I think I now, after re-reading the original question and your replies, of the scenario.

1. False start occurs with two seconds on the clock.
2. After stepping off the penalty, the clock starts on the ready to play signal?
3. A doesn't get a snap off before the clock expires.

At first I was imagining the clock not getting stopped for the penalty at the two second mark. What would happen then? Is it similar to basketball where the officials have to have "definite knowledge" of time on the clock to correct? Thanks again.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Yes, it would be similiar.

4-4-6
The referee shall have authority to correct obvious errors in timing if discovery is prior to the second live ball following the error, unless the period has officially ended as in 3-3-4.

Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
If there was definite knowledge (and I would hope someone would have looked at the clock in this situation) then that time could easily be put back on the clock. If for some reason everyone went brain dead (and time expired without anyone knowing) then team A would get one untimed down. I would like to think that someone would just say they knew the time remaining so as to avoid any further conflict. The situation is already going to be tense, trying to convince Team B's coach of why you are letting team A play with no time on the clock will not make it any better.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

But ....

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Not under NFHS rules...
Unless you can convince me otherwise Tom, I'm going to have to disagree with you. The penalty, a false start, didn't occur during the down. It occurred prior to the snap. A down doesn't begin until the ball is snapped. Therefore, there is no untimed down.
Team A runs a play with 20 seconds left and A52 holds during the play which ends inbounds. There are 5 seconds left. If Team B accepts the penalty, there will be another down regardless of whether or not the clock expires. Correct?

Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Re: But ....

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Not under NFHS rules...
Team A runs a play with 20 seconds left and A52 holds during the play which ends inbounds. There are 5 seconds left. If Team B accepts the penalty, there will be another down regardless of whether or not the clock expires. Correct?
Yes, but the difference is that, in your play, the foul occurred during the down. In the play that was originally posted, the foul occurred before the down started. Therefore, no untimed down.

Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

That's right Mike, because it happened during the last timed down. The thing about this play is that it happens after the ready for play has been blown...once that happens, the down has begun...so in this situation, if the penalty was marked off and the ball marked ready with 2 seconds remaining, then team A would have to be on the ball (clock starts on the ready) and snap before time expires or they would not get another play because that would be considered a new down as soon as the ready had been blown.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Someone look up the definition of a down please...I was under the belief that it starts with the ready and I see that BktBallRef says it starts with the snap of the ball. I just want to know which is true and I don't have my rulebook with me here at work.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Okay, nevermind....I was wrong...it says a down begins , after the ready, with the snap...shoot me.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Bang!!