The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
what posistion do I want?

I've been posting over in the baseball forum for this past year and the guys over there got me through my first year umpiring baseball without having a nervous breakdown and now it's time to turn to you guys for some advice for my first year officiating football. other than wanting to expieriance all aspects of the game, do most officials stuck to one post for their career? what post do you guys do and why did you pick it? i'm trying to figure out what posistion I want to be in. My initial thoughts are U might be fun for me. I played MLB in high school and enjoy being in the middle of things, but I'm not sure how crazy I am about being back there without any pads on

thanks,

Joe
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Just my opinion here...Having played MLB you are very well suited to work the U position. But honestly you should try to work all positions if you're just starting out and see what works best for you. You'll probably be working sub-varsity games where you don't have set crews and can try each position.

BTW - I'm up that way all the time to visit relatives just off Continental Blvd (exit 11). I wouldn't mind going to a Nashua v. Merrimack game.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

I was a linebacker, and quickly found out umpire was not my position. I kept wanting to fill the hole. I moved to the end of the line and was much more comfortable.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
I was a linebacker, and quickly found out umpire was not my position. I kept wanting to fill the hole. I moved to the end of the line and was much more comfortable.
I will need to supress the urge to tackle the guy with the ball, no doubt about that
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
BTW - I'm up that way all the time to visit relatives just off Continental Blvd (exit 11). I wouldn't mind going to a Nashua v. Merrimack game.
I just checked the schedules for ya but alas, no Nashua v. Merrimack this year. check out http://www.highschoolsports.net this site has the schedules of nashua north and south, as well as for merrimack

Joe
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I spent my first 5 years in a small chapter, the first 2 years at LJ, 1 year at BJ, the next 2 at R. Then went to a big chapter and spent 7 years as BJ, 4 years as U, and now this will be my 5th year as R again. Every once in a while, I still fill in at U on other crews so I work that position in a lot of subvarsity games to stay sharp.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
Just my opinion here...Having played MLB you are very well suited to work the U position. But honestly you should try to work all positions if you're just starting out and see what works best for you. You'll probably be working sub-varsity games where you don't have set crews and can try each position.

Joe,

I agree, try all the positions, this will make you more marketable when you want to get on a crew.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

The best advice I can give you is to start at either wing position. This will allow you to learn both as they are similar in so many ways. A lot of folks mentioned, learn them all, but there's so much to learn and it will just be too much at one time.

I do agree however, you may want to work the four first and see which one you feel comfortable at.

There's much more to learn than just the rules, mechnics, the way you handle yourself as an official, be mature and professional. Conduct yourself in a professional manner and you will gain much respect from the other officials and coaches. When I walk onto a playing surface, I keep my chin up and eyes wide open. I always introduce myself and tell the coach were I'm from.

Learn preventative officiating techniques, stay on top of the game by frequent stops here and purchase some resources to read. Most of all, take it a game at a time and have fun, remember to read rule 2.

Good luck
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

You've gotta work all the positions and find which one you like.

Up here you typically start on the sides, then after a few years there try other positions.

I like workin the U, but then again I've only worked the sides and the U and R, so I still need to work deep at some point, but I think the U is for me.

Either way we don't have set positions so one can work HL one game, R the next then back to LJ etc...

You just need to find where you like to be.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 03:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

I started out as a LJ. I moved to HL the next season on the same crew. When I moved to my current area, I become a back judge. When the crew I was on later got rid of the Referee, I was asked to be the white hat. When I worked my first playoff game, I was assigned the Umpire. I just left a crew I was on for about 6 or 7 years and I joined a new crew, I am now a Back Judge.

You should have an understanding of the game where you can work any position. The only position I do not want to work is Umpire. Also umpires are people who really want to be there most of the time. The other positions can be interchangeable depending on what people are used to.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The only position I do not want to work is Umpire.
Peace
this brings up another question of mine, I can understand why someone wouldn't want to be in the middle of all that controlled chaos all the time, but is this division present everywhere? do most people pick one a spot and stay there most of their games?

Joe
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGreySt
this brings up another question of mine, I can understand why someone wouldn't want to be in the middle of all that controlled chaos all the time, but is this division present everywhere? do most people pick one a spot and stay there most of their games?

Joe
In my situation, yes and I think a lot others on this board more than likely remained at their position to become proficient then went to another. I have primarily been HL my entire career. I actually broke this down last year, HL 73%, LJ 15%, BJ 6% and R 6%. I really do not like the Umpire position, I am in a period of chaos the entire time. I done a scrimmage there last weekend, nothing has changed. I will be in my first year of college officiating this year, alternate, bought all plackets but two, R and U!
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 08:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Joe
I've worked at the varsity level at all positions except U. I've worked U for JV/Freshman games and will do it more this year to give my backup white hat more experience.

All my varsity games are as the R now, although I've worked a few seasons at BJ and a few seasons on the wings. We have set crews and it's up to me who works and what position they work. We have 6 guys and 5 take the field every Friday night.

Scrimmage Friday, we open on the 24th and 26th this season (with the Friday off).
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Try 'em

Quote:
I've been posting over in the baseball forum for this past year and the guys over there got me through my first year umpiring baseball without having a nervous breakdown and now it's time to turn to you guys for some advice for my first year officiating football. other than wanting to expieriance all aspects of the game, do most officials stuck to one post for their career? what post do you guys do and why did you pick it? i'm trying to figure out what posistion I want to be in. My initial thoughts are U might be fun for me. I played MLB in high school and enjoy being in the middle of things, but I'm not sure how crazy I am about being back there without any pads on

thanks,

Joe
I think you should work as many as you can- espically at the lower level or PW. Get a feel for them, then decide. I am in year #12. I began as a BJ (3 yrs) then filled our vacant HL (5 yrs) then moved to R when he retired. I have worked them all. I enjoyed HL best - don't really jnow why - but I did.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

To answer your question based upon advice I have received regarding moving up to the college ranks. Umpires are born to be in that position. In most college conferences it's rare for an official to be brought in as an umpire from the other positions. R's in high school will have a hard time moving up since most conferences promote from within the other positions. This pretty much leaves you with working umpire, wings or deep. Unless your an umpire, if you get hired into a college conference it will most likely be at the deep positions (F, B, S) My primary position is at R, but I also work B so that I do have that experience and can fit right in.