The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 09, 2001, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Question

NFHS Football Rules test part I

I am new to football this year, though I have been doing basketball for going on four years. Going back over my test, I am going to run a few questions by y'all, just to show my ignorance and/or boost my understanding of the rules.

#24. A fumble by A1, which is recovered by B1 who is in contact with the sideline, becomes dead when touched and belongs to Team A.

T, right?
I assume that since a loose ball is out of bounds when it touches any player that is out of bounds and any loose ball that goes out of bounds belongs to the last team in possession that this is a true statement.

Thanks, more to come.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2001, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, you are correct. The statement is TRUE.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Aug 10, 2001, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
NFHS Football Rules test part I

I am new to football this year, though I have been doing basketball for going on four years. Going back over my test, I am going to run a few questions by y'all, just to show my ignorance and/or boost my understanding of the rules.

#24. A fumble by A1, which is recovered by B1 who is in contact with the sideline, becomes dead when touched and belongs to Team A.

T, right?
I assume that since a loose ball is out of bounds when it touches any player that is out of bounds and any loose ball that goes out of bounds belongs to the last team in possession that this is a true statement.

Thanks, more to come.

Another way to thinkg about it is that touching comes before gaining posession, thus if touching causes the ball to become dead, securing possession of the ball is of no consequence. The actual wordking is in the rulebook.