The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 06, 2001, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
Lightbulb

I'm a 2nd year high school official, but I have been officiating at the local and Intramural level for 5 years now. I have been training officials for football, basketball, and softball for 3 years and I am a Graduate student in charge of the campus officials division at my University. I feel like I have the talent (though I am always the first to say I have a LOT to learn) and desire to go a long way in officiating and was just wondering if you all out there at a higher level might have any tips or advice on how to move up in the ranks. I'm always eager to listen to what more experienced guys (and girls) might have to say! Thanks for your help.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2001, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

I imagine it is somewhat different state to state, but in Texas some things you can do:
1. Work as much sub-varsity (Chapter assigned) as possible, especially at the sites that are hard to fill.
2. Volunteer to help in Chapter activities
3. Start something that does not exist, i.e., does your Chapter have a newsletter, website, etc? If not, volunteer to put one together.
4. Ask the "power brokers" in your Chapter to evaluate you and ask their opinions on rules/mechanics issues.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2001, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
Thumbs up

Thanks Mike...I've done newsletters for the Official's Association at my college, but I never thought about doing one for the local high school association. That's a really good idea.