The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I did my first year of football three years ago and now I am able to come back.What I need is some help with a couple of homework questions from some of you crack vets out there.First question nfhs If a loose ball touches unauthorized equipment inbounds, play continues and following the down the referee rules whether or not to invoke the unfair act coverage.? 2.the ball shall be marked ready within one minute after the down which precedes a free kick.?3.nonplayer and unsportsmanlike fouls are not considered when determining if aperiod ends or must be extended.?4 if K1's blocked punt strikes the ground and is then forced into K's end zone by r2 and recovered there by r3, it is a touchback.?5 it is a touchdown for A if A1 fumbles into B's end zone and A2 is last to touch the ball prior to its going out of bounds beyond the end line.all are t or f and I say thanks again.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
I did my first year of football three years ago and now I am able to come back.What I need is some help with a couple of homework questions from some of you crack vets out there.First question nfhs If a loose ball touches unauthorized equipment inbounds, play continues and following the down the referee rules whether or not to invoke the unfair act coverage.? 2.the ball shall be marked ready within one minute after the down which precedes a free kick.?3.nonplayer and unsportsmanlike fouls are not considered when determining if aperiod ends or must be extended.?4 if K1's blocked punt strikes the ground and is then forced into K's end zone by r2 and recovered there by r3, it is a touchback.?5 it is a touchdown for A if A1 fumbles into B's end zone and A2 is last to touch the ball prior to its going out of bounds beyond the end line.all are t or f and I say thanks again.

#1 is false - By unauthorized equipment I'm assuming you mean something like a dog or spectator. I believe this would be administered under the inadvertent whistle rule. If the ball was loose because of a fumble or illegal kick then the team last in possession would have the option of replaying the down from the original LOS, or accepting the results of the play where the last run ended (spot of fumble or illegal kick). If the ball was loose because of a legal pass or kick then it would be replayed from LOS.

#2 is true - For a freekick following a safety or try there is a one minute interval, however for a free kick following a fair catch or awarded fair catch there is no interval, as soon as officials are ready then you start the 25 sec.

#3 true - All nonplayer and unsporting fouls are administered from the succeeding spot. If there is another period to be played then mark them off, if not then they are not administered.

#4 false - anytime a team recovers a live ball in their opponents endzone it is TD, no matter what force put the ball in the endzone.

#5 false - this is touchback. If the ball were declared dead IN the endzone with no player in possession then this would be a TD. But when the fumble enters the endzone and then goes OOB (crosses sideline or endline) this is a touchback because the force which put the ball there is the fumble by the team A runner.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

To B ref: Just to let you know out of the hundred questions these were the few that I was confused about after reading the rule book.I agree with you but after trying on my own I wanted to be sure I had the right answers.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

almost forgot thank you to MJ for those answers!
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
To B ref: Just to let you know out of the hundred questions these were the few that I was confused about after reading the rule book.I agree with you but after trying on my own I wanted to be sure I had the right answers.
That works! Good luck!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Aug 09, 2001, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Wink rule for #1

the rule reference for mj's answer to #1, which was on the money is 4-2-2e3, which refers us to 4-2-3b.