I got my hands on a quite a few mush balls. I had a coach
throw in a ball to me after his team took posession that
felt like a car wash sponge. I tossed it back at him and
requested a properly inflated ball, and he told me that
referee had already approved it. I wasn't going to question
that statement (and I'm glad I didn't because when I asked
my white hat at halftime what he thought of the ball that
green was playing with, he made it clear that he didn't
care as long as it was brown and leather)

Are you white hats out there pretty thorough about checking
balls (or even marking them) before games?

Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

1 out of 6

Our crew worked a game last season where our umpire was presented with 3 balls from each team. Not one ball was within 1.5 lbs. of legal, all too light. He instructed the coaches to have more air in the balls. Later the balls were presented agains only to have 5 balls that lost air, and one that was legal. It was hard working a game with only one legal ball. Good thing both teams were running teams, and only threw for about 10 passes the whole game.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Just because it was legal at the start does mean it's legal for the whole game, especially if somebody takes 2 pounds of air out of it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jul 17, 2001, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Kickers Ball

Our crew did a playoff game last year. The umpire carries a pressure gage. He passed all but one ball, the white teams' kicking ball. (He marks the balls with a "Sharpie" X on one of the stripes.) Well, the white team scored first and the kicker came out with the flat ball that wasn't marked. I made him go back and get a legal ball. We didn't have any more problems after that.
We try not to be that picky about ball pressure, but this one was so flat that I could push both ends in past the stripes.
Why do kickers want flat balls? Do they really go further or is that just a myth. (They didn't let me touch the ball much in high school!)

[Edited by Tom Cook on Jul 17th, 2001 at 05:36 PM]
Old Thu Jul 19, 2001, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Prior to any Varsity contest, the umpire should examine all balls that are going to be used in the game. If it meets the standard, then the umpire should put an `x` on the ball for identification. After a touchdown, it is a good idea to use the same ball for p.a.t. We use this mechanic here in Southern California. For underclassman games, use what you can. Some school districts can't afford a lot of balls.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

AHSAA(Alamaba) requires that the R&U approve all balls that are going to be used, htey are to be marked by the R. If we get a ball in during the game and even if it has been marked it can be removed if not legal.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2001, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I have my umpire check the balls, then I approve them. If he finds something wrong with a ball I never get to see it. While the rules state the referee approves the ball(s), we figured if a ball goes through two officials, one is bound to find any ball that is questionable. Kind of a quality check.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2001, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

On our crew, we check each ball with a gauge and mark it with a pin. During the game if they air is lowered we use the thumb check, if it feels soft it goes back. If they do not have a properly inflated ball they play with the other teams ball until it gets air in it. We also do not let them kick extra points with a pumpkin, if you know what I mean
Old Tue Aug 21, 2001, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to zebraman55
Ball InFLATion

For the record, I, as umpire on our HS crew, approve all balls. If the ball is adequate (doesn't "squish" too much), I hand it to my referee for confirmation. I then use a "sharpie" to mark both the laces and the opposite panel with the schools initials. If it doesn't bear our crew's mark, then the BJ doesn't allow the ball person to bring it in the game. (OR LJ if on PAT, HL on kickoffs).

Funny story, but true! Several years ago, our crew was working an IHSA (Illinois) initial round playoff game with two somewhat small schools. The visiting team was a private school from Chicago, not very large. Prior to the game, the referee and umpire went to the visiting team locker room for the pre-game conference with the coach. With this trusty pressure gauge, the referee asked the visiting coach for the game ball. The coach presented a brand new ball. The referee then pushed the pressure gauge into the bladder to check the pressure and popped the bladder! Embarrassed and apologetic, he asked the coach for a second ball. The second ball, somewhat used, was also tested for proper pressure. And, without missing a stride, the referee popped the bladder on the second ball as well! The visiting team ended up using the home team's game ball. Fortunately, the coach was a good sport about it, and even teased us during the game.

After the game, we all pitched in and purchased two brand new balls for the school!

Be careful where you stick that thing!

zeb