The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Beats me. I never got to that point. Until last tax year I have been handling as a charitable contribution as my expenses were also in excess of income.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

So the question here is: is the game site a Temporary place of work or a second job?
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADist1Ref
So the question here is: is the game site a Temporary place of work or a second job?
I would say it's a second job. A temporary place of work would be where a site where my primary job would take me.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
I would say it's a second job. A temporary place of work would be where a site where my primary job would take me.
Seems to me to be temporary, since it is less than a year. My season lasts about 3 months.

Also, the last 2 summers I attended an officials' camp that was more than 300 miles away. With the mileage and gas and room and meals, it eats up a huge chunk of my revenue for the year.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Seems to me to be temporary, since it is less than a year. My season lasts about 3 months.

Also, the last 2 summers I attended an officials' camp that was more than 300 miles away. With the mileage and gas and room and meals, it eats up a huge chunk of my revenue for the year.
Go with a Schedule C form and read the instructions for the list of deductions.
You can take some deductions you missed in the previous three years. Don't forget your Self Employment Tax!
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=TXMike]
Quote:
Originally Posted by insatty
I remember reading that you could only claim a loss for 3 years, after that they deem it not to be a business so you can no longer claim the loss
No, the 3 years in a row of losses is only a guideline, as is that of profits in 3 out of every 5 years. If you can show you had a reasonable expectation of a chance of profit, you can still get sched C deductions. It is understood that some businesses are more speculative than others. For instance, if you'd had declining losses for 3 years and thought you'd become profitable the next, so you invested a lot in equipment (under the limit for expensing, which is huge) but then got laid up and couldn't officiate that year, that's a legitimate loss.

Also, if they're the sort of business expenses that nobody would consider supporting a hobby, such as fees to a licensing agency, they're legit too. I've taken schedule C losses for many years on an invention, and maybe had a slight profit just one or two years, but IRS understands that things like patent maintenance fees and legal fees are not going into a hobby!

Robert