The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

There will be a officials clinic in N. KY March 11. Below is the agenda for that day. If you have any questions, feel free to email me. Please mention on your registration that you saw it here, IREFKY. Thanks to all in advance

Keynote Speaker---Head Coach Kerry Coombs, Colerein
> High School
>
> Clinicians:
> Stan Weihe, KFOA (Louisville) and Ohio Valley
> Conference
> Bob Welch, Big East Conference
> Tommy Walsh, KFOA and Big East
> Mike Nelligan, OVC
> Julian Tackett, Assistant Commisioner, KHSAA
> Matt Young, NKOA (Northern Kentucky) and
> Mid-South Conference
>
> Agenda:
>
> 8:30-9:00 Registration
>
> 9:00-9:50 Keynote Address
>
> 10:00-10:50 Breakout I
>
> Referees and Umpires--Officiating the Free
> Blocking Zone and related
> fouls
> Linesmen and Line Judges--Running Game Mechanics
> (getting good spots,
> forward progress, and during play technique)
> Back Judges--Passing Game Mechanics and related
> fouls
>
> 11:15-12:15 Breakout II
>
> Referees--Rouging the Kicker vs. Running into
> the Kicker vs. no call
> Umpires--All about Holding
> Linesmen and Line Judges--Formations and related
> issues
> Back Judges--Knowing and Officiating the Keys
>
> 12:15 to 1:45 LUNCH
>
> 1:45-2:45 Breakout III
>
> Referees--Initial Positioning, Protecting the
> Passer, Roughing the
> Passer, and End Zone Officiating and Rules
> Umpires--Communicating the Game and Working with
> Players and Other
> Officials
> Linesmen--Chain Crews, Ball Boys, and Sideline
> Control
> Line Judges and Back Judges--Covering Scrimmage
> Kicks, Fair Catch, and
> Related Fouls
>
> 3:00-4:00 Breakout IV
>
> Referees--Communicating the Game, working with
> schools, coaches, and the
> KHSAA; providing feedback to other officials
> Umpires--Getting the ball, getting good spots,
> between play officiating
> Linesmen---Covering Scrimmage Kicks
> Line Judges--Ball Boys and Sideline Control
> Back Judges--Forward Pass Interference
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Where is it that I can get more information on this?

Where is it being held...What is the cost...Etc
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

For more information, check out the Northern Kentucky Officials Association website at http://www.nkoafootball.org. Under the tab spring clinic and development day there is a place to register and see the agenda along with the presenters.

Should you have any questions, email Matt Young at [email protected].
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

I have filled out the online registration. Will confirmations be sent out or do we just have to go and show up.

Jim
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

I just wanted to give this clinic a positive plug...I drove down from central Indiana and it was definately worth the trip. I plan to attend next year. While there was no on-field practice, I found the information desciminated through the positional break out sessions to be excellent.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the compliments Sloth, I will see you in a couple of months at the Indy camp.

Anyone going to the camp in Bradenton, Fl in May?
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm glad to hear that some of y'all will be coming up to the Indy clinic in June. Both are good clinics, espically for the price. I felt that the level of instruction at the NKOA clinic was better than I've seen at the Indy clinic, but I missed the opportunity to get some on field work in front of clinicians. I think part of the problem with the Indy clinic is that some of the officials focus so much on talking about how they do it in their association or thier part of that state, instead of listening to the clinicians.

I was with the white hats and found Julian Tackett to be an excellent source of information. For thse that don't know, this fella is the assistant commisioner for Kentuchy as well as a member of the Federation rules committee. His presence provided some insight behind the 2006 rules changes and what to expect in the future...it will be a cold day in you know where before someone from the IHSAA ever comes to the Indy clinic, let alone take such a prominate role in the clinic.

The major piece of advice I'd give for next year is to charge a few dollars more and provide a boxed lunch. Due to issues with the Courthouse, lunch took over two hours for many...time that I'd have rather spent going over more material. Moreover, being an out-of-stater, it seems like forcing everyone to eat together at the same time and same place makes interaction easier than when its on your own. But this was an excellent clinic and I definately applaude all those that worked to put it together...I hope y'all do it again next year.

[Edited by sloth on Mar 13th, 2006 at 06:54 PM]
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

While some thought I was crazy for doing so, i drove from western NC for this clinic. I was able to fit it into a family visit with some relatives, so I decided to go. As a third year official, relatively new to the umpire position, I found that the topics presented were extremely helpful. I learned more in that one day than I have in probably a month's worth of local clinics. I definitely look forward to going again next year.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

I thought you got lost? I apologize for not finding you but someone told me you were lost.

I am glad, and sloth you are right, Julian does a good job with our state. He's a busy guy, he is putting together our state basketball tournament scheduled for this week and he took time to assist.

He also does a pre-season clinic each year. He travels to about 6 or 7 sites in the state for football and baseball. He briefs the officials and coaches, which are mandatory for post-season elgibility.

Thanks again, hope others can make it next year. You can find it on http://www.honigs.com site or I will be here next year announcing it.

IREFKY

Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

I thought I was lost, but all I can say is thank god for mapquest. I very much enjoyed the clinic, and thought the school was great. I'll definitely be back nest year, hopefully with some friends from down this way.