The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

I need to rant about this.

On Monday, following the Super Bowl, every talking head idiot on television and radio could only talk about how the Seahawks were jobbed by the refs.

While I've never been fortunate to officiate at their level, I thought they once again did a great job. Sure there were a few calls that could have been wrong (the low block on Haselback when it was really just a tackle on the ball carrier, withstanding).

Now on Wednesday morning I've now heard three different shows scolding Mike Holmgren for criticizing the officials when the same idiots have spent the last two days ripping the officials.

While I think Coach Mike might look into the mirror for a few question as to clock management.

I personally thought the OPI call in the endzone was clear. The receiver gained an advantage by the pushoff. Unfortunately, this is rarely called in the NFL. If it was Michael Irvin would have had no career.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 01:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by stmaryrams
I need to rant about this.

On Monday, following the Super Bowl, every talking head idiot on television and radio could only talk about how the Seahawks were jobbed by the refs.

While I've never been fortunate to officiate at their level, I thought they once again did a great job. Sure there were a few calls that could have been wrong (the low block on Haselback when it was really just a tackle on the ball carrier, withstanding).

Now on Wednesday morning I've now heard three different shows scolding Mike Holmgren for criticizing the officials when the same idiots have spent the last two days ripping the officials.

While I think Coach Mike might look into the mirror for a few question as to clock management.
Did you hear Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio Monday morning? They started out by talking about how terrible the officiating and only listed a couple of things. One of the things they did not even agree on whether the call was correct (Greeny thought the Roth play was not a TD and Golic thought it was a TD). Then they ran down a huge list of things the Seahawks did not do to win. Then they would make a brief comment about how the officiating was bad, then another 5 minute rant about what the Seahawks did not do to win the game and if they did those things, Pittsburgh would not have won the game.

It was hilarious the contradictions in their discussion.

Quote:
Originally posted by stmaryrams
I personally thought the OPI call in the endzone was clear. The receiver gained an advantage by the pushoff. Unfortunately, this is rarely called in the NFL. If it was Michael Irvin would have had no career.
We must not forget how long it was when Irvin played. The NFL has since cracked down on OPI and the actions that Irvin got away with. Now I see OPI called much more. It probably could be called more, but you see it called much more than it was called in the 90s when Irvin was making his living. I thought the NFL Network coverage was the best analyst. They discussed all these plays right after the Super Bowl and former player Lincoln Kennedy agreed with all of them except the BBW call. Not only did he agree with them, he explained why these got called and credited the official for no hesitation on the OPI.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Mike Holmgren's "criticism" of the officials was done tongue-in-cheek.

Bob
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I thought the NFL Network coverage was the best analyst. They discussed all these plays right after the Super Bowl and former player Lincoln Kennedy agreed with all of them except the BBW call. Not only did he agree with them, he explained why these got called and credited the official for no hesitation on the OPI.

[/B]
Not that I disagree with him, but you have to wonder if Kennedy feels full freedom in blasting NFL officials if he's working for the NFL.

As far as the Michael Irvin talk goes, you're right that the NFL has cracked down on OPI in recent years. I know at the start of this season they announced that interference could be penalized more often this year, and it happened from the start. Many times early in the season I was surprised by how strict the officials were being in regards to contact. What Jackson did in the end zone was entirely consistent with what I've seen flagged this season.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 04:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by prosec34
Quote:
Not that I disagree with him, but you have to wonder if Kennedy feels full freedom in blasting NFL officials if he's working for the NFL.
That is a good point. The only reason I disagree is that he did not just say it was a good call, he said why it was a good call on the "hold" and the OPI call. He did not just say, "Good call." He said "when you extend your arms like that, you cannot expect anything but a call. Sorry my man (talking to the receiver) that was a good call." He said something to that affect.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not only did he agree with them, he explained why these got called and credited the official for no hesitation on the OPI.

No hesitation? I didn't see him reach for his flag until he saw the ball was caught. I still think he was correct in the call, but the NFL needs to do this more consistently, and the SB is not the time to start cracking down on it.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 12:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by schmitty1973

No hesitation? I didn't see him reach for his flag until he saw the ball was caught. I still think he was correct in the call, but the NFL needs to do this more consistently, and the SB is not the time to start cracking down on it.
I did not realize this was basketball and he was supposed to blow the whistle the minute the play took place. He was reaching for his flag the minute the play was over, which is what you do in a PI situation.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

I didn't say he should blow the whistle, but at least throw the flag.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Don't forget these two

Colin Cowherd = IDIOT

Jim Rome = BIG MOUTH IDIOT

There was nothing wrong with the timing of the flag on the OPI. It amazes me that this guy uses the defender to push off and catch the ball and all people want to talk about is the timing of the flag.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Are you criticizing my criticism?!?
Of all the perfectionists here I'm surprised nobody else is complaining about the timing of the flag ... oh wait, it was an NFL official. They do everything right!
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you criticizing my criticism?!?
Of all the perfectionists here I'm surprised nobody else is complaining about the timing of the flag ... oh wait, it was an NFL official. They do everything right!
The speed and timing of the flag has nothing to do as to weather there was a foul or not.
Two sayings that have been taught to me by several highly respected college officials in regard to the game of football are, “If you think that you are moving at the right speed you need to slow down, this is not basketball” and “Let your mind digest what your eyes have seen and then react”.
I have found that when I do those two things I might take a little heat about a late call, but 99.9 time out of 100 I make the right call. The Major League Baseball Umpires use that philosophy and just look at how long they take sometimes to call a runner safe or out.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
If you get to see the play from the correct angle you can see the official tried to throw the flag earlier but misfired. He had to reach a second time to get the flag.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Not only did he agree with them, he explained why these got called and credited the official for no hesitation on the OPI.

schmitty, maybe you didn't see reach for his flag because you either didn't see the replay that came from behind the official or you are blinded by your convictions the officials screwed up the call. The replay, by the way, shows the official reaching for his flag and missing it once seperation was made due to the receivers pushoff. The reload and fire is what you and the idiot radio announcers are wrongly hanging their hat on as a supposed "delay" in the call. Facts are a *****, huh?
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Schmitty...I know you've been around here for some time, and I respect your opinions, but I would take exception to your characterization of the back judge as having exhibited an unusually lengthy delay prior to throwing the flag. In the video clip, which is slowed down a little, the time from the receiver’s first contact with the defender to the BJ’s reach for the flag is about 3.1 seconds. From the point where it is obvious that separation is gained to his reach for the flag is about 2.2 seconds. And remember, these durations are elongated because the speed of the clip is slower than real action. If you think this is an unreasonable delay, I humbly disagree. All officials—especially professional and college officials—are taught to delay, process (replay) the situation in their minds, and then decide if a flag is warranted. A ‘kneejerk’ flag to the contact itself doesn’t give the official the time to consider the relevance of the contact to the play in progress or evaluate the advantage/disadvantage gained by such contact. A few seconds is a small price to pay to avoid throwing a flag prematurely that you’d want or have to pick up later.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed Bob. That kneejerk call I bet is what goes a long way in explaining the Hassleback call.