The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NothernVA_Ump Send a message via Yahoo to NothernVA_Ump
On the Steve Smith Punt return for a touchdown, one of the officials thru a BIB on #50 for Caolina (I think that was the number). As the white hat was reporting the foul to the fans and TV, someone talked the calling official out of calling it. The replay showed that the recieving teams blocker did extend both arms and push the Kicking team memember down. Would anyone else on the post been talked out of thier call, in this situation?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
First of all - speculation that the foul was on No. 50 is just that, speculation by the announcers. I never saw a replay of the block that showed enough to comment one way or the other. I do remember seeing another block that was also suspect, but again, not enough of a look to say it was illegal.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NothernVA_Ump Send a message via Yahoo to NothernVA_Ump
The only reason I speculated the number is because it was either #50 or #51 for Carolina.....I did see the block on replay both from the side view and the back view. both show that R fully extended both hands into K above the waist.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 03:43pm
I Bleed Crimson

I saw the play, and I agree with you NVA. Afterwards, he did the typical hands-up, "I'm innocent" look. The commentators did point out that regardless of the block, the tackler was out of position to make the tackle anyways. Perhaps a point of attack type argument? That regardless of the block, the lack of position perhaps made the call irrelevant?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 06:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
First of all - speculation that the foul was on No. 50 is just that, speculation by the announcers. I never saw a replay of the block that showed enough to comment one way or the other. I do remember seeing another block that was also suspect, but again, not enough of a look to say it was illegal.
That's not true. Hochuli specifically mentioned that it was not a block in the back on number 50.

The block had no affect on the runback and I wish the NFL would pass more often on those flags. Too many flags on kicking plays as it is.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I'll take your word for it if you're sure but I don't remember Hochuli giving a number. I don't remember him getting out more than a word or 2 before turning off his mic.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Hochuli got out a couple of words saying block in the back. Then turned off the mike talked in conference and came back and specifically said that there was not a block in the back on number 50.

I still think that there was not much of a block in the back but that 50 had both hands on his back and pushed so it looked like one to me