The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Was Polamalu's interception really an interception, or was the referee correct in calling it an incomplete pass?
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

The only rule that I am aware of on receptions prior to a fumble is that you have to make an athletic move with possession. This "his knee was still on the ground and then lost the ball" is what I view as a creative "hometown" call.
The refs also missed an interference call on Randel El in the 1st half and then what was with the "no call" on the 4th down when Faneca moved (they missed it) and then the Colts went across the neutral zone?
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

If that is not an interception, the rule needs to be changed. I don't know the football rules that well, so please someone explain to me how that is not an interception.

That play should never have been overturned. But then I am only an umpire (baseball). So you football officials, please explain that one to me.

Oh, and what was up with that do over on the offsides/false start? I don't even know what to say about that.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Had he stayed on the ground it would have been ruled an interception, he then tried to get up and it was ruled an IP, I don't get it. In hs fb that's definitely a pick!
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Even more rare than NFL officials making a mistake is when a play gets overturned when it should not have been. They are looking at it and talking to a review man upstairs and discussing the rules related to it the whole time. I think they probalby got it right, whether we agree or not, but we will see. The NFL, more than anyone, will go public when their officials make a mistake. Time will tell.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Even more rare than NFL officials making a mistake is when a play gets overturned when it should not have been. They are looking at it and talking to a review man upstairs and discussing the rules related to it the whole time. I think they probalby got it right, whether we agree or not, but we will see. The NFL, more than anyone, will go public when their officials make a mistake. Time will tell.
I'm sure Mike Periera will talk about this on Wed. I look foward to see what he has to say.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
I'm sure Mike Periera will talk about this on Wed. I look foward to see what he has to say.
I don't get the show, so let us know what they say about it.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 08:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
According to someone on another board, when a player gains possession of a thrown ball on the ground, he has to come off the ground with possession in order for it to be ruled a catch. Because the player's right knee was on the ground when the ball came loose, it could not be ruled a catch.

Of course, this would be an INT in a HS game.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

"In the act of making a catch, if a receiver makes a catch and goes to the ground UNTOUCHED by a defender, the receiver must have secure possession when he gets to his feet or when contacted by an opponent."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 09:31pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by jjanicik
The only rule that I am aware of on receptions prior to a fumble is that you have to make an athletic move with possession. This "his knee was still on the ground and then lost the ball" is what I view as a creative "hometown" call.
The refs also missed an interference call on Randel El in the 1st half and then what was with the "no call" on the 4th down when Faneca moved (they missed it) and then the Colts went across the neutral zone?
I agree with the missed DPI, which was missed a few times!

They may have been in the neutral zone but the ball wasn't snapped. Pittsburgh should have snapped the ball then they would have had them off-sides. But the crew did a bad job with making it a "no call."
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 09:35pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
"In the act of making a catch, if a receiver makes a catch and goes to the ground UNTOUCHED by a defender, the receiver must have secure possession when he gets to his feet or when contacted by an opponent."
That is what I read and it is how all the crews in the NFL have been calling it all year. Samthing happened on a Tampa Bay TD pass that was called IP.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Well then they need to change that rule. If Polomalu stays on the ground for a couple seconds after making the int and then looses the ball as he gets to his feet and by rule that is still an incomplete pass, that is a bad rule.

The man demonstrated possession through a dive and full roll. That should be enough.

Props to the ref for making the right call. Now change the rule.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
MJT, its on the web every week... http://www.nfl.com on the right hand side. Look for it late wednesday (maybe thursday).
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
MJT, its on the web every week... http://www.nfl.com on the right hand side. Look for it late wednesday (maybe thursday).
You can watch the whole show on the web? I'll be looking for that.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2006, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
You can watch the whole show on the web? I'll be looking for that.
No, just certain segments. But you can watch the entire Periera segment.