The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

... a block in the back on a punt resulting in a fair catch when the illegal block was BEHIND (i.e. toward his goal line) the receiver?

There's no advantage gained.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 01:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I saw that one too. I tried to determine why it was called.

Since I do not know the fair catch rule, I can't comment.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

That is a safety foul. My supervisor wants that called all the time.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Ageed Dale. BIB is a safety issue particularly when a player being blocked thinks he is out of the play and is not expecting contact.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

correct me if I am wrong, but the flag was probably thrown by one of the deep wings who is not looking at the receiver...thus not knowing a fair catch is occurring.

Also, if the defender/gunner is beyond the receiver, then don't block him in the back.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with mn: the flag was likely thrown by an official who was unaware of either the fair catch or where the ball was. However, in that case, you pick up the flag.

As far as safety, I don't agree that would be a sufficient reason for the BIB only call. If you consider the contact unsafe, then you have a personal foul. Its a bit like calling holding after the pass was thrown. There's no reason to call it, but we will enforce personal and flagrant infractions, though not as holding.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
I agree with mn: the flag was likely thrown by an official who was unaware of either the fair catch or where the ball was. However, in that case, you pick up the flag.

As far as safety, I don't agree that would be a sufficient reason for the BIB only call. If you consider the contact unsafe, then you have a personal foul. Its a bit like calling holding after the pass was thrown. There's no reason to call it, but we will enforce personal and flagrant infractions, though not as holding.
So you're saying Chopblocks and Clips are safe blocks if a flag is thrown but its not for a personal foul? Come on... BIB is a safety issue, call it when you see it.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Clips and Chop blocks carry penalties (NCAA) of 15 yards and a first down. Isn't that what PFs carry? What are the NCAA penalties for BIB? Further, I think all clips and chop blocks will be gone for good in the next few years, while BIBs will still be allowed in the rectangular area.

Besides, you missed my point. I didn't say it isn't a safety issue per se. I guess it could be. What I said was that if you have a foul that you deem a safety issue, call a PF instead of a BIB. Most BIB's I've seen and called don't rise to the level of creating a safety issue. They simply put a defender at a huge disadvantage, something that doesn't happen when the defender is between a kick returner making a fair catch and the returner teams' goal line.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

The original question said this was for a punt play that resulted in a fair catch. He did not say if the block was before or after the FC. That could be a determining factor in what, if anything gets called. When I read it I interpreted that the BIB occurred before the FC, thus the BIB foul I would have called. After the FC you have a dead ball foul for late hit.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: If this situation was the one I'm remembering, (a) the block actually occurred just before the catch was made, (b) the flag came shortly afterwards, and (c) the foul was pretty much on the same yardline as the catch that was about to be made--about 5-7 yards away from it. For the play I'm remembering, I thought that the flag was warranted.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

While in the game we don't stop to think about all the what ifs. You never know what can happen. I didn't see the play in question, but just for sake of discussion I'll assume the BIB displaced the team A player. Calling a fair catch doesn't give you the freedom to block illegally. The receiver may even muff the ball and that block in the back may have been just enough to put him out of position to recover the muffed kick.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
While in the game we don't stop to think about all the what ifs. You never know what can happen. I didn't see the play in question, but just for sake of discussion I'll assume the BIB displaced the team A player. Calling a fair catch doesn't give you the freedom to block illegally. The receiver may even muff the ball and that block in the back may have been just enough to put him out of position to recover the muffed kick.
REPLY: Well said Jason. Just like DPI and then the receiver makes the catch. You've got to flag that foul. And your last sentence is the reason of why you need to flag this. And if it's the play I'm thinking of, the block most certainly displaced the A player.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

How about another simple example... The BIB you don't call, but gthe H or L had a motion foul or illegal formation foul on team-A.
Hmmmm.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Tom...you're right. But the (most likely) PSK considerations in this play would make A's foul pretty much a moot point...UNLESS R would get the ball so deep in their own territory that they might want to opt for the offset.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I was thinking. Team-B just might want to have a rekick. Didn't we just have a similar situation in one of the recent bowl games (the answer is yes), where a PSK option was declined.