The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NoTrumpKing
...Sooooooooooo - was the defender behaving within the limits of football and demonstrating the techniques associated with properly and legitimately playing his position on defense, and was contact unavoidable?...
This is where you earn the big bucks.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NoTrumpKing
Bob,
You are absolutely correct. I missed that he received the pass at the 30. It is a legal kick. I don't absolve the defender of responsibility for the contact. I merely defer to the wing-official on the line to make the judgement call.
By definition a scrimmage kick formation requires the kicker to be at least 7 yards removed from the snapper with no other player in position to take a direct snap. Since this is not a kick formation, certain reservations, exceptions and other protections don't attach. For example the snapper isn't afforded protection because the recipient of the snap is only 6 yards deep.
The kicker was not in a kicking position: at, immediately proximate to, or after the snap, except as he kicked the bal. If he took no steps forward, merely swung his leg to make contact, there is also no action simulating a kick, nor is there any action preparatory to making a kick as is customarily seen.
Sooooooooooo - was the defender behaving within the limits of football and demonstrating the techniques associated with properly and legitimately playing his position on defense, and was contact unavoidable?
REPLY: All I was saying was that in the original post, the defender dove to block the punt (rather than tackle a 'runner'). Therefore, it is abundantly clear that it was obvious enough to him that a kick was being made and that the defender is therefore potentially liable for any contact against the kicker once the ball is kicked. But I do agree with you that a RTK call will require additional 'evidence' in this case because of the extenuating circumstances surrounding the play. It's just that in my mind, that evidence is clear in the posted play.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

From what i have read. This is RTK. Pretty straight forward.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Bob:
You're entirely correct. We need additional facts or evidence.
It's too easy to argue that the defender ignored the behavior of the kicker. If the kicker failed to put the ball in front of himself and approach it like a punter does then it's within the play of the game for the defender to react just a little too slowly to the change in demeanor and/or direction, and find himself making contact just after the ball has departed.
What's all this about big bucks? Someone go deer hunting this late in the season?