The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Hi, I was wondering if any of you know the rule for this, I recall watching a game a few years back (can't remember the teams) but one team got a big lead of about 20 points and pulled their starting quarterback and put in their second string guy because it looked like an easy win but in the second half the other team made a great comeback, so the other team tried to re-insert their starter and the official wouldnt allow him to come back in because he didnt leave the field of play due to injuries. Is this true that if a quarterback is pulled out of the game, he cannot come back in unless he left due to an injury? Thanks for any feedback.

Drew
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Absolutely not. Federation, NCAA, and NFL rules all allow for free substitution at all times in the game. There are rules that restrict a player's re-entry for at most one play. But there is no rule whatsoever that can keep any non-injured player out for the remainder of the game.

What level are you talking about here? Sometimes pee-wee and pop warner leagues have special local rules that they're obliged to follow. It could have been one of those. But certainly not for high school or college.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

What he may be talking about is in the NFL teams have a limit of 45(maybe 48??) players on the sideline. You may dress a third QB that does not count against that total. However, if you use that third QB it will disqualify one of the other QB's. I don't know all the details of the rule, but I do know it exists. I don't believe it would be up to the "onfield" officials to deal with though.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Update

It was a NFL game, what happened is the 1st string QB was pulled because of a large lead, the 2nd string got hurt on the very next series so the 3rd string was inserted. The other team started their comeback and the 3rd string was doing lousy so the announcers brought up the factoid that they would not be able to re-insert the 1st string QB because of the circumstances. They didnt mention the number 45 or 48 being on the sidelines, but were saying if something happens to the 3rd string, then they would have to use this receiver that was a QB in College.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Under the NFL rule once you activate the "emergency" QB he's the man. You cannot re-insert any of the other "regular" QBs.
I did just wonder if you could put him back in another position? Anybody know?

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

the third QB rule works this way:
On game day each team gets to activate 45 players and designate a 46th player the emergency qb. If the emergency qb enters the game before the 4th quarter, then the first two quartebacks are not elligible to play in the game agian.
A few years back there was a game between the redskins and eagles where the first two redskins quarterbacks were knocked out of the game early. However, there was a chance that one one them would be able to return to the game. If they were to use thier emergency qb, the other two quartebacks would not be able to return. Instead, they let Brian Mitchell (running back/ return man) play qb for a possession. He managed a pretty long TD drive.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

if you put the "emergency qb" in at any position before the fourth quarter, then the other two quarterbacks can not play in the game again.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I stand corrected for NFL rules. I had never realized such a rule existed.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

All, thanks for your feedback, the game I was thinking of this morning was the Phili/Washington game...didnt have all my facts straight, but ended up getting the answer to the question....thanks to all.

Drew
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

It would be MUCH easier to give an answer if the original post gave ALL the information.

Bob
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 12:22pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: I stand corrected for NFL rules. I had never realized such a rule existed.
It only applies if you list your 3rd string QB as an emergency QB. If he is listed as one of your 45 players then you can switch them around anyway you like.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

3 QBs per team is standard, however, they may designate the 3rd string the emergency guy so they can get another player out there, hence, carry 46 players that dress every week.