The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IHSFW.com
I'm an Editor for a high school football website in Illinois & I'm doing a small opinion piece on Sideline Warnings, and I was wondering about what would happen in a bizarre situation like a frustrated kid coming out of the sideline or off the bench & tackeling someone on a sure fire break away TD.

I'm sure that he'd get ejected from the game & if he was a junior, might never be allowed to play again, but I can't believe that it would just be a 5 yard penalty for Sideline Violation, would you tack on a unsportsman like contuct 15 yarder on there as well? Or do you rule the play a TD? And in that case, what do you do if it wasn't a sure fire TD?

By the way. This hasn't happened. HS sports as far as I've seen it hasn't gotten that bad.

Cheers,
Vincent Johnson
http://www.IHSFW.com
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

The Referee can award a Touchdown for any unfair act that would have prevented a TD. This is the classic case for awarding a TD unless it was unclear that the ball carrier would have scored.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

A sideline warning is not for this anyway. At minimum, this would be illegal participation. Intermediate would be IP (when he entered the field), and USC. And the strongest allowable penalty would be to award the TD and eject.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:04pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs up

I would love to have to make this call.

PS: Canadian rule is the same - award a TD.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I think it is also safe to say that any ambiguity whether or not the player would have scored would be construed AGAINST the offending team.

Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IHSFW.com
I'm an Editor for a high school football website in Illinois & I'm doing a small opinion piece on Sideline Warnings, and I was wondering about what would happen in a bizarre situation like a frustrated kid coming out of the sideline or off the bench & tackeling someone on a sure fire break away TD.
Did this one recently, but lest change it around a bit.

What if the team with the ball A has a player step on the field and make a block that releases him to the end zone. Say the block happens at the B-35.

Now, you apply: IP/USC/BOTH + ejection.

What if the block was a push in the back that sent the would be tackler face forward and resulted in a injury that needed to be taken off the field with the help of medical staff (ie gone to hospital)?

Wondering your thoughts.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, this did happen in the 1954 Cotton Bowl between Alabama and Rice. A bama player (Tommy Lewis) tackled Rice's Dickie Maegle. I believe Rice was awarded a TD, and Lewis ejected. That's the proper way to handle this on a breakaway run. If its not a breakaway, I'm still going to think long and hard about awarding a TD.

Ejection is a no-brainer. This is a flagrant act.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
The Referee can award a Touchdown for any unfair act that would have prevented a TD. This is the classic case for awarding a TD unless it was unclear that the ball carrier would have scored.

Peace
I would award a TD in this situation and eject the player.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

TD, UC, ejection which is good for the next game, too.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

If it is pretty clear that he could have scored a touchdown then part of the penalty enforcment would be a touchdown useing 9-9 (the God rules). It is a minimum of illegal participation. Ejecting the player is a simple one. Whether you call it IP or USC I feel that 9-9 allows us to award the TD and also penalize on the try but calling it USC is probably the better way to go.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Question that just occurred to me.

Can you call it IP, award the TD, eject, and then enforce USC on the kickoff or the try? (If no, what if the illegal participant ended the play with a 15-yard facemask - could THAT be enforced on the kickoff or try?)
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Question that just occurred to me.

Can you call it IP, award the TD, eject, and then enforce USC on the kickoff or the try? (If no, what if the illegal participant ended the play with a 15-yard facemask - could THAT be enforced on the kickoff or try?)
Well if you're going to award the TD, you could basically do whatever the hell you want. You realy could call IP, USC, facemask, but it will always go on the try in NFHS.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

What if it is not a clear "breakaway" for the runner, but he has only one man to beat, and the IP takes place from the sideline? What do you do then? Just curious.

GH
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Pure judgement. Tough call. One man to beat as in a footrace? Probably a TD. One man to beat as in a single defender ahead of him or waiting for him? Tougher call.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'll go with 5 yards past the last defender plus the 15 yards and the ejection. It sounds good to me in principle at least. The defender probably won't stop the runner on a dime so 5 yards sounds reasonable.