The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

I saw this last week:

At the end of the first half, team A is trying to get on the scoreboard. The clock is running and they are out of timeouts. Team A calls a timeout trying to stop the clock and the wing official, thinking they still had a timeout, kills the clock and tells the Ref his sideline has a timeout.

Now, I know the proper procedure would've been to ignore the timeout request, but since the wing had killed the clock with 8 seconds left (and the clock was rolling) what is the proper procedure at this point?
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA As soon as the dummie reports to the R that the team has called a timeout, R should get both teams back out to the center of the field and qucikly have flanks advise respective coaches the clock was stopped in error and he will be winding on the RFP which will be coming pretty quick.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Simbio
I saw this last week:

At the end of the first half, team A is trying to get on the scoreboard. The clock is running and they are out of timeouts. Team A calls a timeout trying to stop the clock and the wing official, thinking they still had a timeout, kills the clock and tells the Ref his sideline has a timeout.

Now, I know the proper procedure would've been to ignore the timeout request, but since the wing had killed the clock with 8 seconds left (and the clock was rolling) what is the proper procedure at this point?
Wind it as quickly as possible.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 08, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

But before you wind the clock, you take that wingman's whistle and don't give it back to him until after he's paid the tab after the game.