The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

I caught just a part of this game, but one play I saw had the MSU QB going back to pass and was in the grasp of a defender behind the line of scrimmage when he turned and threw a backwards pass. The pass hit the ground right in front of the Referee who then tossed his flag and I believe also signalled incomplete pass and blew the play dead. After a crew conference he waived off the flag. There was something about "presumed down" being part of the explanation.
Can any of you NCAA guys clarify what happened?
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like he was going to flag for intentional grounding but then decided maybethe pass went awry due to the defensive contact so he waved off the flag. Where was ball bext spotted, at spot where QB was when he passed or at previous spot?

As for the "presumed down", that is a new one for me. Maybe it is something the SEC has come up philosophically.
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

I saw that too. They put the ball in play at the spot of the pass as though enforcing a grounding penalty, however you can't have grounding on a backward pass. There was definitely a whistle but I am not sure if it came from the referee. What they ended up doing was covering up an inadvertent whistle.
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

I saw it also. What it looked like to me was the defender got a hand on the QB's arm as he was going forward to release the ball. The ball shot parallel to the LOS and fell behind the point of release. I think a flag was thrown for possible grounding. The explanation seems like he was saying A was ruled down prior to releasing the ball. Must have considered forward progress. The PbP and color had some fun with "presumed down."
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
I think they're still in the 3rd quarter, aren't they?

Man, that game took forever to play.