The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Are there any rules that state that the band has to STOP playing as the teams line up or just prior to the snap. I know in college, it's pretty much a no brainer that you stop playing as the teams line up.

The high school down the road from me does this constantly and I find it to be rude and unsportsmanlike. In the 3 years I've gone to the games, no one seems to care. I know when I was in high school, our team got flagged for the band playing during a play.

Is there a rule or does it depend on the official? I want to approach the school, but I need proof. Thanks!
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't that under the same rule as stadium noise? 13 yards for unnecessary loudness? 7 if it's incidental?
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Believe it or not, I can name a school where the home team band will play, WHEN THEIR OWN TEAM has the ball.

Go figure...

Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
A friend of mine is an assistant coach. He was recently repremanded because he asked the band to stop playing while his team had the ball and was driving for a TD in the closing minutes of the first half.

Seems the band parents got upset with him for suggesting that the football game might be more important than the band.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
There are some states that do have rules about when the band can play. Others do not.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

The NF gives officials no jurisdiction over bands. I agree that it may be rude, but there isn't a whole lot we can do. In other states, I don't know if there are adoptions about the band, but here in PA, it is out of our control.

And, Texoma, we just had a game Friday where the home band started to play as their offense came to the LOS. The head coach didn't say anything to me, but I'm guessing that coach may have a little chat with the band director this week.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Was the band any good?

We worked a small school this past wknd. Also had them second game of the year. Greatly improved on the anthem from beginning of September to end of October!

Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

The problem with the particular band I mentioned is that the home team will often run a spread offense at times and will audible at the line to call plays... Imagine trying to do this when the band fires up directly in line with the line of scrimmage.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

If the band, noisemakers, etc. are interfering with the conduct of the game or giving one team an advantage over another, I would step in and stop it. I've done it once when airhorns were being blown by the home crowd while the visitors were calling offensive signals - but only after the visiting coach begged me to. I checked with the state after the game and they said it really was the responsibility of game management, but that I did the right thing. The state (Wisconsin) does have such rules to cover bands and the like, but they are for game management, not the guys in stripes. I doubt game management realized there are "rules" they are supposed to enforce.

Also, as the white hat, the rules give us flexible powers to make sure the game is played fairly.