The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

It is that time of year again when we can reflect on all that has happened over the last few months.

What new rules do you think the NF should implement?
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 03:20pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
It is that time of year again when we can reflect on all that has happened over the last few months.

they should add the uncatchable pass w?PI...
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long

they should add the uncatchable pass w?PI...
Yes! I thought the holding POE was good this year. On a pass play to the opposite side of the field, you could still have holding on your side by the DB on the WR.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

1)Uncatchable passes. Model rule after NCAA. This year's change was a start, let's get it RIGHT. I abhore throwing a flag when a DB contacts a receiver and the ball is 8 feet over the kid's head.

2)I'd change NFHS Int.Grounding rule to the NCAA rule to help protect young QBs (allow them to throw it away without getting killed)

3)POE on jewelry - especially the "Livestrong" bracelets that all of these kids think they can wear.

Those are the first 3 that come to my mind.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know if there needs to be any rules changes but we sure need a new "rules book". By the time it takes to find the information needed know the rule, understand it correctly, go to the case book to make sure you understand it, track it down in the penalty enforcement then find the signal, you could memorize the IRS tax codes. I would like to see a rules book that has the heading "Holding" or any other commonly used rule or term. You could find everything you need to know under that heading without getting bounced around even if it means duplication of a few things. "Would you like a little WHINE with that cheese?" I feel better.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shave-tail
I don't know if there needs to be any rules changes but we sure need a new "rules book". By the time it takes to find the information needed know the rule, understand it correctly, go to the case book to make sure you understand it, track it down in the penalty enforcement then find the signal, you could memorize the IRS tax codes.
Why don't you just do like Jim Evans and produce a rules index. That way you could look up a word in the index and find the pages of reference in the rules book. I'd buy several.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

The collection of illegal passes has a penalty that is too stiff. I'd go previous spot with LOD or spot foul with replay of down.

Also, Shave is right with the rule book. It could be made much more user-friendly.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
a penalty on a touchdown can be taken either on the try or the kickoff. what is a 1 1/2 yard penalty good for anyway, most of the time it means nothing.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 09:35am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra29
1)Uncatchable passes. Model rule after NCAA. This year's change was a start, let's get it RIGHT. I abhore throwing a flag when a DB contacts a receiver and the ball is 8 feet over the kid's head.

2)I'd change NFHS Int.Grounding rule to the NCAA rule to help protect young QBs (allow them to throw it away without getting killed)

3)POE on jewelry - especially the "Livestrong" bracelets that all of these kids think they can wear.

Those are the first 3 that come to my mind.
We already have rules against "Livestrong" bracelets
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 09:36am
tpaul

Quote:
I don't know if there needs to be any rules changes but we sure need a new "rules book". By the time it takes to find the information needed know the rule, understand it correctly, go to the case book to make sure you understand it, track it down in the penalty enforcement then find the signal, you could memorize the IRS tax codes. I would like to see a rules book that has the heading "Holding" or any other commonly used rule or term. You could find everything you need to know under that heading without getting bounced around even if it means duplication of a few things. "Would you like a little WHINE with that cheese?" I feel better.
I do agree the casebook and rulebook need to have all those correctionsstraightened out!
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 09:38am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
a penalty on a touchdown can be taken either on the try or the kickoff. what is a 1 1/2 yard penalty good for anyway, most of the time it means nothing.
I like that too. great idea...
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

OPI = 15 yards and no loss of down
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 09:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

I always have a laundry list, although I don't really care if any of these are put into place.

My favorite rule change this year was in the NFL -- a penalty on K during the kickoff (during loose ball play, by NFHS definition) can be tacked onto the end of the kick.

I would still like to see pass interference changed -- OPI, repeat the down. Remove illegal touching beyond the line as OPI, make it illegal touching. Make DPI a spot foul if <15 yards.

Apply scoring play penalties on either the try OR the kickoff -- give the team the choice.

Make all personal fouls automatic first downs.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gman34
Quote:
I don't know if there needs to be any rules changes but we sure need a new "rules book". By the time it takes to find the information needed know the rule, understand it correctly, go to the case book to make sure you understand it, track it down in the penalty enforcement then find the signal, you could memorize the IRS tax codes.
Why don't you just do like Jim Evans and produce a rules index. That way you could look up a word in the index and find the pages of reference in the rules book. I'd buy several.
No need, as it's already been done. Buy the ARS CD. It has a rule, case, and funny book with a search index.

Also, shave-tail must be a rook. Study, study, study and you'll soon know exactly where to go to find what you need.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef I hope you get more exercise than just jumping to conclutions. And no I'm not a rookie. However, I do have enough brain cells working to know when something doesn't work, and that's a little thing called our rules book. It's obvious by the posts that followed mine that something needs changed. Not every person who puts on the strips wants a full time job, they are people who wants to help out at the 5th-6th grade level, JR. high and JV. They should have access to materials that don't bounce the reader all over and are lost by the time they are done. I work with a WH with about 40 years experience and several state championship games, and when I see him flipping from the front to the back, I know that this book it not effective and some change is needed.