The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

In San Diego, CA we pay a one time fee during sign ups. $100 includes instructional materials, assign sec fees, and the end of the year banquet. 7% seems pretty steep, but then again our assoc is 200+ members, so costs get spread a little more.
As for payments, youth ball pays before the end of the last game. Most high schools require a voucher from each official submitted before the game and we get out checks via mail, usually within 2 weeks. Some high schools will have your checks waiting for you when you show up for the game, but they are the minority. I think a 1099 gets generated if you receive over $600 from any one school district. Has never happened to me yet, our section is composed of several school districts, so I'm not sure about that number.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Getting Paid

Quote:
Originally posted by Ohioref3
Ok, It seems like most school districts and associations have their officials paid on site, and it seems like if you make over a certain amount of money at one school they tax you at the end of the year. My next question is if you do get paid at the site, what are your association dues in your state or association. Do you just pay a fee before the season or sport starts and that covers your dues for the year and whatever you make at that school when the school pays you is yours to keep? I am curious to see if it is more cost effective for the official to pay a one time dues fee of anywhere between $50-100 to your association and your game check is yours to keep with no money taken out, or get paid once a month and have say 7% taken out of your check to cover the association dues and get taxed for everything that you make at the end of the year. If you do alot of games and do get say $1000 per month on a check, with that 7% taken out you are looking at paying almost $70 to the association per month, that just seems like alot to me. And on top of that 7% fee, you also have to pay a $20 to the school district per season to officiate.

I come from a place where we paid a $40 fee to the association before every sport that we worked for that year, and a $20 fee to the scool district for the year which covered the state association fee and then we had to pay for the books and teaching material that was out of our own pocket. We would then go to officiate the game and when I got to the game there was a check waiting from a game administrator. They was no certain percentage taken out of my game check because I had already covered that with my $40 fee that I paid before the year started. And unless I made over I think it was around $500 for that year at one school I wasn't taxed at the end of the year. What system works better for everyone else? just curious.
Even in places where you get a "full check" there may have been an assigning fee paid directly to the association or commissioner.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Simson....I'm north of you about 60 miles (Seneca). We are working in Silver Lake this Tuesday have you received your assignments yet?

Our association (Kansas)is $40 for 1 sport and $30 or $20 for every sport after that....paid up front in the spring or pay late fees if you sign up just before that sport.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Ohio

We pay the state thirty dollars per year sport. We pay our local association thirty dollars per year. The assignors are paid by the leagues not the officials.

Question. If your referee gets the entire fee, is it equally divided or do different positions get different amounts
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 09:00pm
Chain of Fools

Game fees/dues

Association fee and state fee = $60 each, paid up front before the season. State fee covers NF materials and insurance included. Booking fee comes out of association dues.

Game fees- most high schools pay on site by check, some middle schools but not a lot tell you they have to mail the check which you get anywhere from 3-7 days later. Youth ball- cash or check on site.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Getting paid

Are there any other associations out there that are still getting paid once a month with a certain percentage that goes directly to the association? My new association has a system that lets us get paid on site with a check waiting for me at the game with my name on it. I paid a $40 fee to my association to work football this year and I also paid $40 to my state association dues which covers me for the whole year in any sport I work.

I was not used to this system, where I come from in the northwest, I was paying $20 to my state association which the money really went towards nothing, then I paid my local association $10 to work each sport, then I only got paid once a month with 9% taken out of my check when I received it. The 9% went to my local association dues. It might not seem like alot, but I was making close to $1000 per month for football, which included high school and youth football, so when I received my check at the end of the month I had $90 go towards local association dues, and over a three month period it added up to almost $300. I though that alot of the money was going towards association fees, but the association was also receiving money from the schools to assign the games. What are other associations doing to keep all of these costs down? I love now getting paid on site with nothing being deducted.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shave-tail
Hey Simson....I'm north of you about 60 miles (Seneca). We are working in Silver Lake this Tuesday have you received your assignments yet?

Our association (Kansas)is $40 for 1 sport and $30 or $20 for every sport after that....paid up front in the spring or pay late fees if you sign up just before that sport.
Shave-tail - that is interesting to learn that some of the assignments are already out. When did you get that? Either Northern Heights or Rossville should be a good game with Silver Lake. And as it appears there are at least two pretty good officials in Seneca I am guessing that your name is either Regis or Elmer.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't heard our playoff assignments yet. Our WH might already know - I'll find out tonight. We're working the Eudora @ Baldwin City game tonight - should be a really good game. Tomorrow we have a battle for last place - Mill Valley @ Shawnee Heights.

Shave-tail - a few years back I worked a playoff game at Bern with a Seneca official. Sunny Saturday afternoon - home team had watered the field all night and morning "Couldn't figure out how to turn off the new sprinklers." Visiting team was livid - they were a speedy team and Bern was more of a power team. That didn't happen to be you working that game was it?
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

I believe I was been paid on-site, by check, for 12 of the 13 games I worked this fall. The other check I received in the mail within two weeks.

I've also never had a problem getting paid, even when I didn't get checks on-site. They've always shown up.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 09:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

In my experience, many people that spend a lot of time worrying about getting paid and talking about getting paid are only there to get paid.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Albany, NY area

Pop Warner games are always paid on-site, with about a 60/40 split of checks vs. cash.

Scholastic games are (with one or two private-school exceptions) paid via mailed check, which arrives anywhere from 10-40 days after the game, depending on the school district.