The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I'm seeking your advice...

3-4-3i The clock shall start with the snap or when any free kick is touched, other than first touching by K, if the clock was stopped because:
i. The penalty for a delay of game foul is accepted.

Scenario...Clock is running when a foul is called on A for delay of game (failure to snap the ball within 25 sec.) and the penalty accepted. After administration of the penalty the clock is set to start on the snap. Coach begins yelling that penalties do not stop the clock and that it should start at the RFP following administration of the penalty. The WH explains that it is his discretion on when to start the clock after the delay based on his judgment on illegally consuming time or not. Regardless of time remaining 2 mins vs. 10 mins, based on the rule above would the WH have this discretion?
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

No, the rule you quoted in your post eliminates any discretion.

When a delay of game penalty is accepted the clock will start on the snap.

I believe that at one time (many years ago); that it was up to the discretion of the referee. Clearly not the case anymore with that rule... 3-4-3i.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

That is not exactly correct, l3will. Rule 3-6-3 affords the referee the option to start or stop the clock when a team attempts to conserve or consume time illegally. Therefore, under normal circumstances the clock would not start on an accepted DOG penalty until the snap, however, if the referee determines that the DOG was intentional he has the authority to start the clock on the RFP.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoGARef
That is not exactly correct, l3will. Rule 3-6-3 affords the referee the option to start or stop the clock when a team attempts to conserve or consume time illegally. Therefore, under normal circumstances the clock would not start on an accepted DOG penalty until the snap, however, if the referee determines that the DOG was intentional he has the authority to start the clock on the RFP.
I don't think an accepted delay of game penalty for a 25 second violation comes under this provision. My opinion... There is a specific provision under the rules for an accepted delay of game penalty, so I think you have to go with that. At least, I believe that for the failure to snap the ball with the 25 seconds after the ready.

For other delaying tactics... snapping the ball before the ready... failure to wear equipment and so on... I think a case could be made for starting it on the ready if the act was clearly intended to stop the clock.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

The reply from SoGARef was my thinking as well but then I thought about it a little more and I am now thinking along the lines of I3will.

If a team is attempting to illegally consume time by allowing the 25 second clock to expire, wouldn't I as an official, be aiding that effort by subsequently starting the clock on the RFP?
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bfoulk
The reply from SoGARef was my thinking as well but then I thought about it a little more and I am now thinking along the lines of I3will.

If a team is attempting to illegally consume time by allowing the 25 second clock to expire, wouldn't I as an official, be aiding that effort by subsequently starting the clock on the RFP?
Yes.