The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
Now, "In God We Trust" was added to our money during the Cold War.
Civil War, actually (as far as coins go). 1957 for paper money.

http://www.treas.gov/education/fact-...-we-trust.html

And, oh, by the way - there's absolutely no way to win this debate. As it happens with most stands on principle, this probably won't accomplish much, but if the coach is okay with his decision, well, he's a grownup.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 11:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
>>So what you are saying is that the majority wins. The majority of students are Christian, so the prayers should be that way too.<<

Yep. That's pretty much how we solve political issues in this country: popular vote, or representative decision making. Why shouldn't it be the same here?

>>Sometimes the majority isn't right -- sometimes the outnumbered minority's rights need to be protected, as well.<<

Specifically what constitutional rights of mine are being violated when you say a prayer? When you as my coach lead a prayer? Further, what if you can only do one of two things, and either choice will violate some rights? Where is the constitutional provision that, under this thinking, the minority's rights trump over the majority's.

Folks, don't make this harder than it is. There is no right to protect us from not being offended, yet, that's exactly what the ACLU, and all the chuch/state separatists want. What they really want is the expansion of liberalism and the minimization of religion, especially in public.
Oh, nonsense. Back in the 50s a majority of Southern white people and a lot of their elected representatives thought school segregation was right and forcing people of color to have their own water fountains was right too.

The coach is in a position of authority. He says it's time to pray, what if Johnny doesn't want to pray but is afraid that he'll lose his starting position because he refuses to join in? Why should a kid be put in that position, EVER?

As far as I'm concerned, any public, group, "forced" display of religion or patriotism is nonsense, whether it's the pledge or group prayer or anything similar.

And if you think I'm a liberal, you'd be quite wrong.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
if he wanted to lead them in a Muslim prayer? Or Buddhist? or Jewish?
I find it interesting that everyone seems to assume it wasn't. The article never says.

Perhaps he was trying to pray an old testament "smite the opponents" prayer and the kids wanted to have a new testament hand holding one. Or perhaps the team was impatient because it was one of those long winded recite-a-bible-chapter-verse prayers my grandpa used to give.

My personal opinion is let's expose those kids to the coaches personal religious philosphies. It won't hurt them for a few minutes. Let him turn them to Mecca if he wants. Let him set up a wailing wall if he wants. Maybe he could bring in some cows and light some candles for Ghaneesh. If the kids don't like it, they can excuse themselves.

Oh, wait, that's what they did. The kids complained and said we don't want to be involved anymore. WAY TO GO KIDS. YOU ARE LEARNING TO BE ADULTS VERY WELL.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

It is interesting to see what big money has done to this sport. Back in the 60's and 70's, before the NFL came into its own, the penalty for intentionally striking an official was a lifetime ban from the league. Ronde's fine of $30,000 is but 1% of his salary ($3,250,000 in 2004). I believe the fine should at least be what he would make for the game which would be $203,125. What is so silly about this is that Ronde is appealing a fine that is only 1% of this salary.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Heck, Reagan never went to church. So much for moral leadership.

Our country was founded on freedom FROM religion by the state. If you want more oppression and less tolerance of individual rights, try state religion (Iran, Afghanistan under the Taliban as examples) and see what happens.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." George Washington First president of US (1732 - 1799)
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, nonsense. Back in the 50s a majority of Southern white people and a lot of their elected representatives thought school segregation was right and forcing people of color to have their own water fountains was right too.

Bingo, brother. While we're on the subject, we can talk about how one senator from Rhode Island has as much voting power as one from California, yet represents far fewer people. Those founding fathers we're pretty smart. I especially like the part about an independent judiciary being able to right the wrongs done by "the majority" - George Wallace in the door of the school, the Little Rock 7, bans on birth control, and school prayer.

Popular isn't always right. They knew that when they fashioned this government.