The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Hey fella's,

In working with newer, less experienced officials, there is a lot of penalty enforcement questions. Eventually, the 'ol, "...mark it from where it hurts 'em the most..." is mentioned. I need some play examples where this does not apply.

In battling this age-old mostly incorrect axiom, I am putting together a handout on enforcement for NFHS. What I need is some really good examples where using this philosophy would really screw a team.

Sorry for the long post, but could use some good play examples.

UE
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know if this would really 'screw' a team, but here are a few not so profound examples:

1. A5 drops back to pass. Downfield B8 holds an A receiver. A5 can't find an open receiver and is sacked. Enforcement is 10 yards from the spot of the sack (not the location of the foul), no automatic FD.

2. A only has 6 men on the LOS at the snap. A14 is tackled for a 4 yard loss. The 5 yard penalty would be enforced from the previous spot, not the end of the run.

Did I ever tell you that I don't particularly care for "where it hurts them the most."
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Hi Uncle E, How’s it hanging?
It really irritates me when I hear things like “where it hurts them the most“ .I feel it will only cause you greef if used. If people would use one phrase that covers the whole penility enforcement philosophy they'd have no problem. It’s called the “ALL BUT ONE”. Here’s a play that happened during a game where I first heard “hurts them the most”. 4/10 @ K-25. K punts the ball and R33 recovers at the R -30. During the return K52 commits a personal foul at the K-35. The return ends at the R-40. The WH wants to enforce the penalty from the K-35 because that will hurt K the most. I finally got him to let me enforce it right (from the BS, end of the run) but I could see he didn't like it and probably thinks I was wrong to this day. No one likes a punk first year guy telling him or her their wrong. LOL. I’ve seen some very experienced crews kick enforcements using “hurts them the most”. Something you might tell these newbys is they will never enforce a foul by the defense from the spot of the foul (well they might but they‘d be wrong). Just stick with the “All But One” and you can’t go wrong.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Around here, it's not called "Where it hurts them most", it is usually referred to as "Screw the Offense", and it is not always right.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: UE...here's another. K punts. R commits a PSK enforceable foul at R's 40. R catches punt at R's 30. He tries to outrun K toward the sideline and head upfield. He backtracks and is tackled at R's 20. Penalty is NOT assessed from R's 20 (spot "where it would hurt them the most.") Penalize from basic spot (end of the kick).
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

How about a facemask penalty on B (DB on WR) while the QB is in the pocket during a passing play where A catches the ball downfield and the basic spot is the previous spot. If they want the penalty it will have negate the completed pass and it won't be tacked on the end of the run.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

thanks!

Guys,

Thanks for the examples. I also hate the "what hurts em the most" philosophy. That is why I am bringing it up at our meeting.

Thanks for the examples.
UE
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I would suggest spending the meeting time educating everyone on Rule 10. Replace the axioms with the proper knowledge of the rules and they should be able to apply them to any situation.

You can easily disprove 'where it hurts the most', but once you do, what have you accomplished.