The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

On Friday Night we had an unsportsmanlike on the HC of Blue Team. On the next possession White Team has a 35 yard run to the goal. At the one yard line the player, while being tackled, extends the ball to the goal and the ball comes loose. Does it go out at the 1/2 yard line, does the player have control of the ball as it hits the goal, does he loose control and the ball goes out the side of the end zone? BJ, standing at the goal at the hash mark, starts to go up for TD but then drops because wants to check with LJ. LJ has him stepping out at the 1 yard line-then the fumble. Really tough call with 5 man mechanics. Since LJ trails the play by 4-5 yards how does he know the staus of the ball as is relates to the goal? How does BJ know status of the ball when the player steps out of bounds? We went with A's ball at the one yard line.

I told my wing what happened and he relayed the outcome of the play to Blue Coach. Allthough it's across the field from him he's sure the ball was loose before the goal, that it went through the end zone and out the sideline. He's screams at me, from 4 yards onto the field at the 15 yard line "Did the ball get fumbled through the end zone?". He knows what happened because my wing had just told him-he's just pissed. I looked at him and yelled "No-now get off the field". Questions (1)Should the coach have been tossed? He's already got one Unsport foul. (2) Should I have gone over to him rather then bark at him? (3) Should we simply have given him a sideline warning and move on? I'd be happy to hear any and all thoughts.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twref
On Friday Night we had an unsportsmanlike on the HC of Blue Team. On the next possession White Team has a 35 yard run to the goal. At the one yard line the player, while being tackled, extends the ball to the goal and the ball comes loose. Does it go out at the 1/2 yard line, does the player have control of the ball as it hits the goal, does he loose control and the ball goes out the side of the end zone? BJ, standing at the goal at the hash mark, starts to go up for TD but then drops because wants to check with LJ. LJ has him stepping out at the 1 yard line-then the fumble. Really tough call with 5 man mechanics. Since LJ trails the play by 4-5 yards how does he know the staus of the ball as is relates to the goal? How does BJ know status of the ball when the player steps out of bounds? We went with A's ball at the one yard line.

I told my wing what happened and he relayed the outcome of the play to Blue Coach. Allthough it's across the field from him he's sure the ball was loose before the goal, that it went through the end zone and out the sideline. He's screams at me, from 4 yards onto the field at the 15 yard line "Did the ball get fumbled through the end zone?". He knows what happened because my wing had just told him-he's just pissed. I looked at him and yelled "No-now get off the field". Questions (1)Should the coach have been tossed? He's already got one Unsport foul. (2) Should I have gone over to him rather then bark at him? (3) Should we simply have given him a sideline warning and move on? I'd be happy to hear any and all thoughts.
Here is how I would have handled it. He already has one. I would take the time to go over to him and say, "coach, you have one USC already, if you get another you are ejected. My wing came over and explained the whole thing to you. We made the call that we feel is correct, after communicating as officials, which we are supposed to do to get it right. We had a much better angle than you, so we are going with this call. For your own sake, stay off the field and be quieter if you disagree with another call because no one hear wants to see you ejected from this game. Thanks coach" and leave.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

"Coach - are you requesting an official conference?"

"Yes." - then go talk to him.

"No." - "Then get off the field coach before you get ejected with your 2nd Unsportsmanlike Penalty."

I've worked with some that will charge a coach with a TO in a case like this, and "force" it to be an official conference.

I'd err on the side of keeping him in the game, since it was the apparent indecision on the crew's fault for causing the confusion in the first place.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

MJT, under NCAA rules, there isn't a provision for ejecting a coach for UC., but the conversation is basically the same.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your responses. I'm one that always preaches that communication to coaches is one of the most important things we need to do-but: MJT-In my opinion I think that conversation (a) would have taken too long (b) he already knows what the call was and (c) if he doesn't know that the next one get's him tossed telling him only inflames the situation. Mcrowder-It's my undersatnding that conferences only relate to a questions about a rule interpretation/enforcement. This is a judgement call and I never go to the sideline to discuss judgement calls. As long as my wing has enough information, and an opportunity to tell the coach, I think thats the end of our responsability. Again, I'd appreciate any feedback.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Your wing man told him.

He bypasses wing to scream at you as Referee and all the way to the 15 yl to boot.

No conversation necessary.

No brainner. The wing man should have thrown the flag as soon as coach exited the team box to the 15yl. The referee should have thrown his flag seeing AND hearing an irate coach on the field yelling at him.

Ejection.