The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

At the end of the first half of the Titans-Texans game, Tennessee attempted a free-kick field goal from the 48 yard line. Rob Bironas' kick came up well short and was returned to about the 20.

Definitely the first one I have ever seen, anyone know the last time this happened in the NFL?

EDIT: Also, they were not allowed to kick off a tee; it was held on the ground just as on a normal field goal attempt. Any reason this NFL rule is different from NFHS?

[Edited by bigwes68 on Oct 9th, 2005 at 02:38 PM]
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Under NFL rules, no tee is allowed for try for point kicks, field goal attempts, after a safety, or free kick following a fair catch. The only time a tee is allowed is on a kick-off to begin a half or following a score.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm suprised he missed it. That is only 62 yards and with no rush and could take his normal KO run up, I'd bet more than 1/2 the kickers would have made it.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

This was done twice in a game in KY this past weekend. Of course, the officials were ready as the HC has said all year he wanted to do this. Both were good and the opposing coach did not know what was going on.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
I'm suprised he missed it. That is only 62 yards and with no rush and could take his normal KO run up, I'd bet more than 1/2 the kickers would have made it.
But this is a little different. In the NFL they can't use a tee. On kickoffs they can use a 1" tee. That is significant. You won't see many kickers at all trying to use a kickoff approach when the ball is on the ground. It is too easy to hit the ground with the kicking foot when you use the big approach. Accuracy is also an issue there as there is more variability in the approach.

But I agree with you that probably half of the leagues kickers could have made that.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

I missed that one. How do they line up for the free kick? Is it just like a kick-off? Is there a snap?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schmitty1973
I missed that one. How do they line up for the free kick? Is it just like a kick-off? Is there a snap?
Just like a kickoff (except for the holder). There is no snap.