The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

We had a play at a freshman game recently that I hadn't had before. It is 4th down and 10 for K on their own 10 yd line. The punt is blocked and rolls from the field of play and comes to rest right on the pylon! The ball never crossed the sideline nor crossed the goal line it was a perfect stop in contact with the pylon.

What should the ruling be? And, where is the ruling stated in the rule book?

Thanks,
GH
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

You have a safety. The pylon is out of bounds in the endzone. Rule 2-4. So if the ball touches the pylon, the ball is both in the end zone, and out of bounds. The kick is the force that put the ball in the end zone, so it's a safety.
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Grey Hare
We had a play at a freshman game recently that I hadn't had before. It is 4th down and 10 for K on their own 10 yd line. The punt is blocked and rolls from the field of play and comes to rest right on the pylon! The ball never crossed the sideline nor crossed the goal line it was a perfect stop in contact with the pylon.

What should the ruling be? And, where is the ruling stated in the rule book?

Thanks,
GH
Rule 1-4 discussing the pylon, says "When properly placed, the goal line pylon is OOB's at the intersection of the sideline and the goal line extended." Therefor if it was a loose ball and the ball hit the front edge of the pylon, it did not break the plane of the goal line so it would be OOB's where it crossed the plane of the sideline (1/4 inch line). Thus 1-goal for B at the 1/4 inch line.

Now if the ball was in player possession and the player was in contact with the ground when the ball hit the pylon, we would have a TD or a safety depending. If the ball is in player possession and the runner is in contact with the ground at the time, the goal line is extended, and that is why we can have a TD.

[Edited by MJT on Oct 8th, 2005 at 09:05 PM]
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, but I disagree MJT. The pilon is out of bounds IN THE END ZONE. If the ball touches the pilon, it has broken the plane.
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Also see rule 4-3-2 - "If the ball touches a pylon, it is out of bounds behind the goal line."
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

You got me there! Safety. I was thinking along the lines of the goal line extended, which did not really apply to this.

Good question which got us in the book again, which is why this board can be such a great learning tool.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I could have sworn that I found the ruling later word for word describing a blocked punt contacting the pylon being ruled as a safety. Despite how much I search the rule book now, I cannot find that exact wording. I see the rule 2-4 and I completely agree it is a safety, but I would love to find it again in the book where it states that contact with the pylon is out of bounds and dead in the endzone.

Thanks for your input again,
GH
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Or I could just pay better attention to the reply that gave rule 4-3-2!

That is what I was looking for!! I know I will sleep better tonight.

GH
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Read ALL the posts.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!