The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

I heard from a head coach a few weeks ago there's actually a player in New Jersey playing with a tinted eye shield. I kind of blew it off thinking it was some kind of rumor but in our assn meeting this week we were discussing 100% light transmission, no exceptions, etc.

So, since we were on the topic I brought this up and found out it's true. I was told there has been an exception granted to one player who has some kind of medical clearance in Central New jersey. I don't have the specifics but I was told by the coach it has been cleared by the courts.

I think we'll see this restriction eventually lifted with the caveat that you just need to be able to see their eyes. Stay tuned.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

We were told Monday that in all of Texas there are only 4 players with authorization to have a tinted shield.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
I heard from a head coach a few weeks ago there's actually a player in New Jersey playing with a tinted eye shield. I kind of blew it off thinking it was some kind of rumor but in our assn meeting this week we were discussing 100% light transmission, no exceptions, etc.

So, since we were on the topic I brought this up and found out it's true. I was told there has been an exception granted to one player who has some kind of medical clearance in Central New jersey. I don't have the specifics but I was told by the coach it has been cleared by the courts.

I think we'll see this restriction eventually lifted with the caveat that you just need to be able to see their eyes. Stay tuned.
First of all, I'd like to know what medical condition would require a tinted visor as opposed to a clear one? Just curious--maybe there is a good reason for the tinted one.

I think it was on the issue of tinted visors--a player could wear a tinted one in PA if the director of the state association gave a signed waiver that it was ok, and apparently the director basically said, "don't worry, I won't give that waiver."
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge

First of all, I'd like to know what medical condition would require a tinted visor as opposed to a clear one? Just curious--maybe there is a good reason for the tinted one.

I think it was on the issue of tinted visors--a player could wear a tinted one in PA if the director of the state association gave a signed waiver that it was ok, and apparently the director basically said, "don't worry, I won't give that waiver."
I do not know the medical term but there are conditions where sunlight damages the eyes and requires people to wear sunglasses.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

This kid has some kind of rare disease and it affects his skin, eyes, etc. Unfortunately, I don't really know what it is. The crazy thing about this whole thing is we have all been consistent about being adamant on calling this. In our state for playoffs we frequently send crews out of normal districts. Now, what if the kid had played the entire season (where the officials knew this was OK) and a out of district group comes in and puts a halt to things. I have never had a "court order" given to my umpire yet.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I'd hope that this team has something in writing stating that the tinted visor is allowed in this case. We we told earlier in the season that a doctor's note would not suffice so it had better be from the state or from a court. Like they say, "No tickee, no washee."

Tom, what school is he from?
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Jason: actually, 7, and they are all either in the DFW area or the general Austin area. Houston, gulf, east/west, valley, desert, plains, forget it.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Jason: actually, 7, and they are all either in the DFW area or the general Austin area. Houston, gulf, east/west, valley, desert, plains, forget it.
Must have went up since Monday.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Must have went up since Monday.
REPLY: Jason...do TX high schools follow the NCAA procedure (page FR-142) or a similar one to permit non-transparent eye shields? The Federation has no such procedure. So tinted eye shields are forbidden...period.

ljudge's story about a kid who has received the state's (NJ) permmission is not following a published procedure for waiver. Rather it appears to just be a capricious setting aside of a Fed rule.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

In the NJ case, I am not going to rely on the coach's word that the shield has been OK'd. The coach would need to have a letter from the state association saying it is legal. I'm not sure I would be able to decypher a court order so I would prefer something from the state but he better have either or both documents before he can play.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

BobM, The UIL has its own policy. Without approval by the UIL only a clear visor may be used. No ammount of tint whatsoever.