The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Punt team on the field,(Team P). punting to team R. P punts football it goes straight up and back down behind the line of scrimmage. When coming down it hits one of team R's Big Sloppies up front, that was too lazy to get in the wall. Big Sloppy is behind the LOS. What is the ruling here. I think it should be treated as a blocked punt since it didnt cross the LOS. the officials on the field informed the coaching staff that the LOS was irrelevant in this situation and that it was a fumble and since P recovered the fumble is was their ball 1 and 10. The key though is it never crossed the LOS or the to gain marker. I thought they blew it, but that was me. I guess I should be complaining about the signal for both split ends on the LOS and then the covered TE that scored the TD out of that set, anyway could someone respond and give me an answer please.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Coach, If both plays were as you described, it sounds like you had two bad calls against you. K can recover a scrimmage kick behind the line of scrimmage and try to advance, but he must make the first down yardage. If the ball had crossed the line of scrimmage and been touched by your big sloppy, then K's recovery would give them the first down.

Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the respponse, They were not the best group of officials we have ever had. It was a JR high game and the association seems to be trying to break in a couple of rookies each week here lately. Nothing wrong with that though, I just wish they would put them wiht some stronger veterans to break them in. There were a couple of other plays that hurt to. And by the way we lost after the punt fiasco. It gave them the ball back we were up 4 with 4 minutes left, they got a fresh set of downs and then scored with the closed in end. I think the other team was trying to run a pro formation and the flanker just got a little close to the line, but the line judge showed him as on the line and our safety read him as an unbalance end and didnt cover him. It cost us, but we should have put them away sooner.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, one of the best ways to learn the rules is to screw up a play like that and be challenged (somewhat nicely) by the coach. You can read the rules over and over but, when you have a play like that, you go home and read it again and that's when it really sinks in. That's why experience is so important in officiating. Assuming that they are conscientious, you can take pride in how much you helped them learn in one game!
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

It makes no difference whether the ball crossed the LOS or not. What matters is where is the ball when it touches R.

If beyond the NZ, and K recovers, it's K's ball, 1st and 10.

If it's behind the NZ, then K must have to ball beyond the line to gain to gain a new seires of downs.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith