The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Moron that I am, I had my second inadvertent whistle yesterday.

Between the same two high school teams that I had my first a year ago.

And this time I hosed the other team, so at least I'm Even Steven.

Saw the face mask, threw the flag, and blew the fricking whistle. Kid spun out of it and went for a touchdown. You know the ignosecond? That split-second where you realize you've made a dreadful mistake? I wanted to pull the sound back out of the air and back into the whistle.

Happened in the first half, and the kid's team wasn't going to win anyway (they lost 42-20, they were outclassed), and it hosed the team on my sideline, but I didn't hear about it the rest of the game, so they were cool about it (one nice thing about freshman ball), but I'm so fricking stupid. Still bugs me.

Veteran guys on the crew were good about it, too. Ref said if you're going to have an inadvertent, blow the hell out of it so everybody knows.

I try not to keep the whistle in my mouth anymore. I'm not comfortable with the finger whistle. I don't know any other options other than not being a moron (which may not be an option at all for me).

Any suggestions?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 11:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
Moron that I am, I had my second inadvertent whistle yesterday.

Between the same two high school teams that I had my first a year ago.

And this time I hosed the other team, so at least I'm Even Steven.

Saw the face mask, threw the flag, and blew the fricking whistle. Kid spun out of it and went for a touchdown. You know the ignosecond? That split-second where you realize you've made a dreadful mistake? I wanted to pull the sound back out of the air and back into the whistle.

Happened in the first half, and the kid's team wasn't going to win anyway (they lost 42-20, they were outclassed), and it hosed the team on my sideline, but I didn't hear about it the rest of the game, so they were cool about it (one nice thing about freshman ball), but I'm so fricking stupid. Still bugs me.

Veteran guys on the crew were good about it, too. Ref said if you're going to have an inadvertent, blow the hell out of it so everybody knows.

I try not to keep the whistle in my mouth anymore. I'm not comfortable with the finger whistle. I don't know any other options other than not being a moron (which may not be an option at all for me).

Any suggestions?
I agree with your crew. When I had mine (I've had one since 1993 and it was this season), I didn't try to swallow it, I kept blowing the whistle until everyone stopped. Then, being the white hat, I got to explain the options to the coach while listening to a bunch of crap

My suggestion is to stop counting your IWs and put them in the past. Be vigilant in dropping the whistle from your mouth after the snap. Remember that you're human and you've only worked 18 games IN YOUR LIFE.

Hey, it's Friday. Time to pack the bag. Good games, everyone.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

My suggestion: Spit the whistle out at the snap, you can't have an IW if its not in your mouth. This allows you to gain another second while you bring it to your mouth. This will give you the time you need to realize that you shouldn't blow the whistle or maybe that the ball comes lose.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 11:49am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
[B Then, being the white hat, I got to explain the options to the coach while listening to a bunch of crap

[/B]
OK, this is a coach question:

So what are the "options" here...we had a similiar sitch in our game last Friday...LJ on our side blows his whistle just as running back pops out of the pile on the far side and is headed for an easy TD...they didn't give us any "options", the WH just put the ball back at the original LOS and said we had to replay the down - didn't even give us the first down we would have had had they given us the progress to the spot where the whistle blew...
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

My first game as a white hat, 1992. I had an IW on the opening kickoff. Fortunately, it was so whimpy that no one heard it and we played on. Never had one since so I don't feel the need for a finger whistle.

I tell my crew: "Let the play kill itself."
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
[B Then, being the white hat, I got to explain the options to the coach while listening to a bunch of crap

So what are the "options" here...we had a similiar sitch in our game last Friday...LJ on our side blows his whistle just as running back pops out of the pile on the far side and is headed for an easy TD...they didn't give us any "options", the WH just put the ball back at the original LOS and said we had to replay the down - didn't even give us the first down we would have had had they given us the progress to the spot where the whistle blew... [/B]
I believe options are A can take the ball at the spot it was at when the IW happened, or replay the down.

WM
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:

So what are the "options" here...we had a similiar sitch in our game last Friday...LJ on our side blows his whistle just as running back pops out of the pile on the far side and is headed for an easy TD...they didn't give us any "options", the WH just put the ball back at the original LOS and said we had to replay the down - didn't even give us the first down we would have had had they given us the progress to the spot where the whistle blew...
I believe options are A can take the ball at the spot it was at when the IW happened, or replay the down.

WM [/B]
That is correct.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: rockyroad...here's the complete scoop on how the Federation handles inadvertent whistles:
1. If it occurs during a free or scrimmage kick (i.e. before the kick ends) or during a legal forward pass, you must replay the down
2. If it occurs while the ball is in player possession, the team in possession can choose to either (a) count the down and have the ball wherever it was when the whistle sounded, or (b) replay the down
3. If the ball is loose following a fumble, backward pass, illegal kick, or illegal forward pass, team last in possession can choose to (a) accept the play at the spot where player possession was lost, or (b) replay the down.

However, if there is a foul during the down and the penalty is accepted, these three choices are trumped by the enforcement of the penalty
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

On the initial sitch, I would stress about it less than you seem to be, because it's very likely that the kid who ran for a TD only did so because the defense stopped when they heard your whistle. In fact, after ANY IW, the runner should be able to run for a TD - because the defense better not be tackling him after a whistle.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 01:08pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: rockyroad...here's the complete scoop on how the Federation handles inadvertent whistles:
1. If it occurs during a free or scrimmage kick (i.e. before the kick ends) or during a legal forward pass, you must replay the down
2. If it occurs while the ball is in player possession, the team in possession can choose to either (a) count the down and have the ball wherever it was when the whistle sounded, or (b) replay the down
3. If the ball is loose following a fumble, backward pass, illegal kick, or illegal forward pass, team last in possession can choose to (a) accept the play at the spot where player possession was lost, or (b) replay the down.

However, if there is a foul during the down and the penalty is accepted, these three choices are trumped by the enforcement of the penalty
Thanks guys...that was what I understood the rule to be, but the WH was pretty adamant that we didn't get to take the first down and he made us replay the down from original LOS...just wanted to check with the experts!
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Over? What's the discomfort with the finger whistle? If you don't like how it feels on your finger I'd suggest a wrist lanyard. I've used one for years. I never liked how the finger whistle fit me.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

We had a similar thing in a game two weeks ago. Scrimmage kick, kick catching interference and the ball was loose, no one had touched it. The whistle was blown (not by me) while the ball is rolling around. Effectively, it killed the play and the less-learned assumed it had been 'downed'
by someone. We dealt with the KI and moved on. Cleared it up for the next time. Move on is right. Stuff happens.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

If you do have an IW or even hear one you had better get your bean bag down because that spot is important. The whistle may not have been from one of the officials in that game but if it did affect the play then it is an IW. I quit keeping the whistle in my mouth a few years ago and while it can be harder to run while holding it in one hand I like it better than holding in my mouth were if I just breathe wrong I can blow it. There aren't that many situations where a quick whistle is important. The play always kills itself and your whistle only reflects that. This season we have at least 1 or 2 plays every Friday where nobody blows a whistle because those of us who do (U doesn't ever) blow them couldn't see the ball when it became dead. The players know that the play is over. Now on a lower level game it is common to hear 2 or 3 guys blowing plays dead.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
One thing I have done, and it helped so far, is I keep my tounge over the whistle hole. I have not had an IW in 3+ seasons since I went to it. What helps now is I am mainly WH and I usually drop the whistle from my mouth.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My suggestion is to stop counting your IWs and put them in the past.
However, thanks for bringing it up here to keep us all on our toes at avoiding them.

One of the more senior guys in our organization tells of one of his very first games when he had an IW, in perhaps the second quarter. His referee was supportive, so that he would not get down on himself and reminded him that it happens to all of us. The same guy had an IW on the very next play. The referee very calmly told him to put the whistle in his pocket and that if he saw it out of his pocket, "I'll cram it up your..."

The guy jokes, "I haven't had an IW since. Of course its still in my pocket."