The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I know that most people feel it's taboo to officiate a game in which your child is playing.

My question is this. What about the chain crew people? Should they be allowed to work the chain crew if they have a kid playing the game?

I ask for a reason. This past weekend, some guys in my association had a situation where one father on the chain crew was constantly critical of the ball spots and first down calls. At one point, the R called a first down and the guy on the crew at first refused to move the chains when asked to by the Head Linesmancause he didn't think it was a first down. THe first down, obviously, had been awarded to the other team. The game was on this parent's home field. Anyhow, to get to the short of it, after the next play, which ended with the runner going out of bounds near the chain crew, after the HL turned to take care of getting the ball back in and such, the parent on the chain crew threw the down marker and hit the HL in the back. He was dismissed immediately. This was a Pop Warner game being played under NFHS Rules.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
In most youth games you're probably going to get parents holding the chains. I like to thank them ahead of time for their help and encourage them to cheer on the players from both teams when they make a good play. Also, ask them not to coach. Remind them that they're working as part as the game administration. They should not comment at all about what's happening on the sideline. Under no circumstance would I allow a member of the chain crew to be critical of the officials on the field.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

My crew has worked many varsity high school games where one of the chain crew members has a son playing. Our crew has never had a problem with this, the parent realizes that they forfeit most of their rights to cheer or criticize when working the chains.

Sounds like in this situation the parent should have been replaced early.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Simple solution to this: just replace him.

I don't think its a problem having parents on the chain crew but if they start criticizing the crew or coaching their team then get someone else.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

If you were the official involved, what action, if any, would you want the league to take against the parent that threw the marker at you?
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
If you were the official involved, what action, if any, would you want the league to take against the parent that threw the marker at you?
I would report it to the league and I know they would take care of it, probably suspend the parent. If the chain guy was replaced when he should have been this might now have occured.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Ain't youth football the best?
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
I would report it to the league and I know they would take care of it, probably suspend the parent. If the chain guy was replaced when he should have been this might now have occured.
And what if the league were to say, "What does the HL involved want us to do?" Then what would you say?
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'd stop the game, walk over to the chain crew and explain to them that they are part of the game administration and that they are not to say anything. Any further comments and I'd have the game administration replace the offending party.

If they don't do that, they can look for someone else to put up with that crap.

Years ago, I was doing pee wee FB (back when I was not as sane as now) and the league official asked me to take care of some fans that he expected were going to be a problem. I laughed and told him that was HIS job! I'll take care of the game.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
And what if the league were to say, "What does the HL involved want us to do?" Then what would you say?
Let's see.... alternatives.... 1) ban the parent from attending games.
2) explain to the parent that anymore misbehavior will result in his child not participating.
3) assault and battery charges... probably too late now.
4) if parent wants his child to remain an active participant, then the parent must officiate 10 games not involving his child's team.
you get the idea... seems unfair to punish the child for his parent... so probably best to affect the parent directly.

... the league could have parents sign a code of conduct statement prior to their child's participation. This is done in some places, I know. The code of conduct should spell out what is expected of parents in general and actions that result from non-compliance with the code.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 08:13pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
I ask for a reason. This past weekend, some guys in my association had a situation where one father on the chain crew was constantly critical of the ball spots and first down calls. At one point, the R called a first down and the guy on the crew at first refused to move the chains when asked to by the Head Linesmancause he didn't think it was a first down. THe first down, obviously, had been awarded to the other team. The game was on this parent's home field. Anyhow, to get to the short of it, after the next play, which ended with the runner going out of bounds near the chain crew, after the HL turned to take care of getting the ball back in and such, the parent on the chain crew threw the down marker and hit the HL in the back. He was dismissed immediately. This was a Pop Warner game being played under NFHS Rules.
We had a similar situation in a HS varsity game about 5-6 years ago. Two of the chain crew disagreed with a call, and refused to run the chains. Our WH went over and told them if they didn't do the chains, they would have to leave the field and go into the stands. He also told them he'd talk to game management and tell them they can't work any other games. They changed their mind and worked the rest of the game, without incident.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Report it to the police and follow up with a written report to the league or game authorities.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

With parent chain crews (common in youth ball here as well), I always give them a quick speech - 1) cheer but don't coach ("Go Johnnie!!!" is fine. "It's a REVERSE!!!" or "Johnnie, you have to cover this receiver" is not); 2) you are part of our crew for this game - you must do those duties impartially. If you can't do that, send me someone who can.

Then, after this - the first tiniest negative comment about the officiating will get a new person on the crew. The folks in the initial sitch let this go way too long.