The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

I don't know how many of you read Tuesday Morning Quarterback on NFL.com, but he asks an interesting question about NCAA rules.

Here's the question:
Mesa State 64, New Mexico-Highlands 51 (overtime). How is it possible to win by 13 in overtime? Mesa State scored to take a 58-51 lead on the first possession of the second overtime; New Mexico-Highlands then fumbled, and officials allowed Creed James to return the rock 63 yards for a touchdown. In the new high school and college format, I've seen officials blow the whistle and end the game the moment a team with the lead gets a turnover in overtime. I've seen officials allow play to continue, on the theory that as long as the defender continues moving with the ball, he might fumble it back and the offensive team might run that fumble in. Does any rules-adept reader know? The moment James took possession of the fumble, should the game have ended or should he have been allowed to ramble for the extra six?

I don't work college, but I am curious how you guys would handle this situation.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

For high school, if you use the recommended procedure in the rule book for overtime, then the ball is dead immediately if team B gains possession. It is however possible for team B to score a safety or a touchdown. Team A fumbles in their own end zone and B recovers in the end zone, for example, unlikely but possible.

Each state association can adopt its own overtime procedures, so your state may vary. Are there any states that use NFHS rules that use a different overtime procedure???

In the NCAA, the ball remains alive after a change of possession until it is declared dead. So it is possible for B to score and get the results you described.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Beware with statements like "in the new high school and college format". MOST states have a completely different set of rules (FED) than NCAA. Two states, including mine - TX, use NCAA rules.

NCAA rules - The ball is NOT dead on a turnover. The guy was a moron for returning it - they had won the game without the return, and the possibility remained that he would fumble the ball and have it returned the other way for a tying score. But the ball was definitely live after the pick.