The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 20, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Are there any circumstances in instant replay where a penalty can be issued as a result of the replay?

For instance: In the famous kicked-ball miracle NU victory over Missouri, could a penalty have been issued for an illegal kick?

Thanks!
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by powercatjeffy
Are there any circumstances in instant replay where a penalty can be issued as a result of the replay?

For instance: In the famous kicked-ball miracle NU victory over Missouri, could a penalty have been issued for an illegal kick?

Thanks!
I do know in an NFL game, Saints @ Giants. I'm not sure if the details are right but heres the situation.

Giants catch a ball thats ruled complete, after the play a deadball personal foul was called against a Giants player. Saints challenged the ruling on the field, the call was not reversed but a player on the Saints was charged with a personal foul also after the review so the penalties ended up offsetting.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Instant replay can be used in the NFL to verify numbering of offensive linemen, including in scrimmage kick formations (for which, I believe, teams give the officials a list of their numbering exceptions before the game). There has been at least one instance where no flag was thrown on the play but a penalty was assessed after review.

I believe, but am not sure, that touching and batting of loose balls are also reviewable, which presumably means penalties could be reversed or even created on review.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

I believe it can also be used in a DOG situation. Not positive, but I think that was mentioned at some point on this rule.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by powercatjeffy

Thanks!
I do know in an NFL game, Saints @ Giants. I'm not sure if the details are right but heres the situation.

Giants catch a ball thats ruled complete, after the play a deadball personal foul was called against a Giants player. Saints challenged the ruling on the field, the call was not reversed but a player on the Saints was charged with a personal foul also after the review so the penalties ended up offsetting.
Saw that game. Actually, what happened wasn't that the review showed another foul; it was that while the Referee was "under the hood" watching the film, one of the Saints players committed an unsportsmanlike act. Since both the Giants PF and the Saints USC occurred in the same dead ball period (although literally 2 minutes apart) they offset.