The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question on the mechanics of the Int grounding.

As WH I am watching the QB on these plays. Here is the situation. Did I doit right?

2/7 from A30. A12 take snap and is rushed. As he scrambles away, he then throws the ball, B98; 76; 56 all converge on A12. B98 hits him just after the ballis thrown (legal) and the other 2 aviod him. I look up to see what happened and the ball is sitting on the ground at the A40. My wing come running to me and tells me there was no one in a 7-10 yard area of the throw. Upon hearing this, I judge that the QB threw the ball to aviod the sack. I then throw my flag in the air and begin the process for the Int grounding.

Coach of the A team says while the call may be correct, I am very late in the flag and should never do that. I think I did everything correct.

Whay are your replays? If I did something wrong, please tell me what and how to correct.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

You did fine, sometimes you have to keep your eyes on the QB so that you can make sure he is not roughed, you will not always have the chance to make this call right away. You will even see what you described happen in the NFL sometimes. If the coach were complaining I would tell him that if I were to take my eyes off the QB I would miss a RTP so that you can get the IG on time.
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Should the WH bean bag the spot of the throw when he senses a possibility of IG? This way he's already marked the spot while he converses with his wide guy? I haven't read a mechanic suggesting this, just wanted to run this up the flag pole. thx
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach

As WH I am watching the QB on these plays. Here is the situation. Did I doit right?

2/7 from A30. A12 take snap and is rushed. As he scrambles away, he then throws the ball, B98; 76; 56 all converge on A12. B98 hits him just after the ballis thrown (legal) and the other 2 aviod him. I look up to see what happened and the ball is sitting on the ground at the A40. My wing come running to me and tells me there was no one in a 7-10 yard area of the throw. Upon hearing this, I judge that the QB threw the ball to aviod the sack. I then throw my flag in the air and begin the process for the Int grounding.

Coach of the A team says while the call may be correct, I am very late in the flag and should never do that. I think I did everything correct.

Whay are your replays? If I did something wrong, please tell me what and how to correct.
You were fine. If the QB is being pressured, you cannot leave him to see if receivers are in the area and get the help you need from your wing. In fact, I was in for the pregame talk with a crew for a college game this weekend, they talked about how to handle this exact scenario in the pregame, and then had 2 IG in the EZ for a safety. No crap, 2 IG's for a safety in the same game by the same team. In both cases, the flag was very late, after a wing came in to tell the R cuz he was watching the QB being tackled.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I then throw my flag in the air ....

Be sure the flag the actual spot of the illegal pass because this is going to be the enforcement spot.

Otherwise, there is no such thing as a late flag.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There is no such thing as a late flag. So you did it correctly. The opposite scenario is where you think it is IG and throw the flag, then consult with wings to see if anyone was in the area. You can pick up the flag too. Either way, the goal is to get it right.