The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

I have heard 2 different answers as to overtime for a soph game in Illinois. I have never had a tie game so I'm not familiar with the ruling. Is there overtime at this level or not? I guess it might not be state to state but I have never ran into it and it would be helpful to know.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited by irishref6 on Sep 17th, 2005 at 01:18 AM]
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Each state has its own set of rules for overtime. I am from Pennsylvania and OT only applies in our state for varsity contests. All other contests will end in a tie. For your specific state you will need to get an answer from Illinois officials.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 10:46am
Do not give a damn!!

There are no state rules that deal with overtime. This is more of a conference issue. Some conferences have rules that specifically say there will be no overtime. When non-conference teams play, they might decide not to play overtime either. And whether there is overtime can vary from one part of the state to another.

My previous comments:

Where I live I cannot think of one conference that plays overtime for any lower level games. Or at the very least I have not been faced with dealing with that situation.

I was informed of two conferences in my area that does use overtime for lower level games. I guess you need to check with your local area and check with the conference rules. I have had overtime opportunities in other conferences and we were told they did not play overtime rules. Some conferences determine sophomore and freshman Champions and that might explain the reason some play overtime.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Sep 18th, 2005 at 12:46 AM]
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

NO OT below the varsity level in ND.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 01:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
NO OT below the varsity level in ND.
Same in WI.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

In Missouri

JV and Freshman games we will do 1 overtimer period, but no more than one. Junior High games get no overtime
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

In Kansas I have never had a game end in a tie at any level. I believe the lowest level game where we had to use overtime was a freshman game. I have never worked a multiple OT game below a varsity game. We had a 3OT varsity game two years ago and two OT varsity games last year. I was even in a 4OT JV game back in high school. I kicked the try to win the game.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 12:43pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
No offense guys, but I am pretty sure he doesn't care what other states do for underclass OT, he specifically asked for Illinois. When I worked in Illinois I worked the conference that had Warren and another that had Round Lake (I think they are different conferences) and they DID play OT at the Soph level, but they also played their Soph games right before the Varsity game, unlike Indiana who plays only Varsity on Friday night.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Bill

I reffed with you and Jerry Smith a couple years ago in that conference. The reason I asked actually was for a Libertyville vs lake Forest game that ended up 22-21 but I was wondering what we should have done if they didn't go for 2 and just kicked the extra point.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 08:53pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
You would have had OT I believe. Hmmmm, what is your name, trying to remember? Do you and Jerry still work together?

Is it Ryan Boyle? Looked at your profile and that name sounds familiar.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2005, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Yep. Ryan Boyle

I worked almost every game with Jerry last year but have not had a game with him this year. I called him and he said he didn't know why were not working together. I think there are quite a few new guys so they had to split people up with experience. I've been the white hat in every game this year and itÂ’s turned out to be easier than I thought.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

My crew works in the Chicago suburbs. Don't know what the official interpretation is from Gannaway and the IHSA, but what we have done is ask the Athletic Director if we play OT or not. It has only come up about 3-4 times in my many years of officiating, but most times they tell us "no" as they want to make sure they get the varsity contest going at 7:30pm.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

ot

Actually in Wisconsin only games involving only 9th grade level students nad below have no OT provisions. Check your Wis adaptions Rich
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 11:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: ot

Quote:
Originally posted by Wisscott
Actually in Wisconsin only games involving only 9th grade level students nad below have no OT provisions. Check your Wis adaptions Rich
You know, I looked this up a few days ago and forgot to correct myself. I have yet to have an overtime game in WI (so now tonight will be the first, I guess).

In WI freshman-only games have no OT. The rest do, including soph games, JV games, and games where freshman play with sophomores.

The author regrets his error.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

No OT under varsity where I ref

I checked with my association and was told OT ONLY in varsity games.