The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Offense is going for a 2 pt try after the td. A10 drops back and throws to A88 in the endzone. While the ball is in the air A88 pushes off of B22 and catches the ball for an apparent successful try. Covering official calls offensive pass interference.

Obviously B will accept the penalty but since it is a loss of down penalty (FED rules) will the offense get another chance at the try. Is there any yardage marked off against the offending team and if so where?
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

No retry per 8-3-4.

No yardage marked off at the suceeding spot as this was not a foul by the opponents of the scoring team. This was a foul by the scoring team.

[Edited by mikesears on Sep 16th, 2005 at 09:14 AM]
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Good

That is the way i enforced it last night. Offense coach wanted the retry but i explained that it is ruled this way so they do not to continue to foul on purpose to gain an advantage to extend the play. Very similar in concept to the no extended period for a play at the end of the half or game which A fouls and has a loss of down penalty enforcement. That too is nullified.

Another comment it is always hard to explain to the offense's coach on 4th down his qb is called for intentional grounding that the penalty is accepted 5 yards from the spot of the infraction plus loss of down and B will get first and ten. He always says they accepted the penalty and he wants another play. Read the book please.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I am still dreading the day I have a 4th down play where the runnner (A1) goes 4 yards beyond the line to gain and throws an illegal forward pass.

I will have fun explaining that one.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 09:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by BoBo
Offense is going for a 2 pt try after the td. A10 drops back and throws to A88 in the endzone. While the ball is in the air A88 pushes off of B22 and catches the ball for an apparent successful try. Covering official calls offensive pass interference.
If the try was good, B can:
  • re-do the try from the 5, 15y on the KO

• re-do the try from the 20, 0y on the KO

• If the try was NOT good, B can:
  • apply 15y on the KO
  • __________________
    Pope Francis
    Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 11:44am
    Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Canadian Ruling

Quote:
    Originally posted by JugglingReferee
    Quote:
    Originally posted by BoBo
    If the try was good, B can:
  • re-do the try from the 5, 15y on the KO

• re-do the try from the 20, 0y on the KO

• If the try was NOT good, B can:
  • apply 15y on the KO
  • I would like the NF to consider allowing 15 yard penalties to be enforced on the kickoff. Last night in a FR game, we had a PF (late hit) on a TD and a 1.5 yard enforcement on the try when the team is kicking anyway doesn't seem to be equitable.

I'm also liking the NFL rule this season of allowing penalties on punts to be taked on to the end of the punt instead of requiring a rekick.

Some good, common-sense things could be trickling down in the next few years.
    Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 01:03pm
    Official Forum Member

I agree about the 15 yarders being tacked onto the kickoff instead of the PAT, but I hate the NFL rule of tacking on penalties that occur before the kick onto the end of the run. There would just be more confusion between coaches, referees, and fans... if coaches can't grasp the relatively simple NFHS rules, can you imagine trying to explain the intricacies of the NFL rules?