The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Had this situation in a game.

Team A calls a running play. Linemen A69 and A67 go downfield about 7 yards to block.

B56 puts pressure on QB A7 who rushes toward the right sideline. Seeing A54 moving in his direction from the line of scrimmage toward him decides to throw the ball into an area no occupied by an eliglble receiver.

Two flags go up. LJ for an ineligible downfield. R for intentional grounding.

R gives B captain choice of ineligible or grounding penalty of which the captain accepts the grounding penalty.

U at halftime goes, how can you have an ineligible downfield on an illegal pass -- intentional grounding.

My answer is it is possible, especially, since neither official knows of the other's foul. The offended team captain in a multiple foul situation always has a choice of penalties that in this case is obvious, the intentional grounding.

Comment?
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

One of those flags should have been waved off. The R should have waved off the ineligible downfield flag.

Rule 7-5-12.

Ineligible A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral zone on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is in flight. If B touches the pass in or behind the neutral zone, this restriction is terminated. An ineligible is not illegally downfield if, at the snap, he immediately contacts a B lineman and the contact does not continue beyond the expanded neutral zone.

Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

You should always listen to the umpire.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
You can have both Ed. While the defense will (and should) take the IG it is still a pass from behind the LOS and that landed beyond the LOS. Signal both fouls and give the defense their choice. Good call.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I never thought about it for one moment until my umpire questioned it. That's why he is my umpire, to keep me honest.

Two different penalties that conflict. The ineligibles were illegally downfield if the pass had been legal. Penalized from the previous spot.

The intentional grounding made what would have been a clear cut ineligible downfield into a "fuzzy" situation. (QB should have know better than to generate a test question.)

When you have multiple fouls the offended teanm can only take one. My style is to "tell" the captain what he is going to choose when the situation is so easy and praise him for his wisdom in making such a good choice.

This time it was take the intentional grounding, five yards from the spot of the foul and loss of down, which would cancel the ineligible downfield.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
The intential grounding is an illegal pass.

7.5.12 states that ineligible A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral zone on a legal forward pass.

If you did throw on the ineligble downfield, which you should because the R should be calling the grounding penalty, it should be waved off and the intential grounding enforced. Keep in mind the the grounding penalty carries a loss of down.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Also, keep in mind, an illegal forward pass is a running play. Both were correct to throw their flags, but the ineligible downfield must be waved off. This cannot be a multiple foul.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
I never thought about it for one moment until my umpire questioned it. That's why he is my umpire, to keep me honest.

Excellent point made. It's essential we get the call right.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by don't move
Also, keep in mind, an illegal forward pass is a running play. Both were correct to throw their flags, but the ineligible downfield must be waved off. This cannot be a multiple foul.
Agreed!
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that this is not a multiple foul situation, I think this case was easy to get right for the wrong reason though since the illegal pass enforcment is the harsher result for A even if you mistakenly called it a multiple foul and let B have their choice. B is always going to take 5 yards + LOD over 5 yards.

In that light, consider the situation where A12 crosses the NZ before throwing a pass, properly flagged by the U, and A88 is 25 yards down field and pushes off prior to making the catch and draws a flag for offensive pass interference from the Back Judge. In this case, the flag for OPI still has to be waved off as it can only occur during a legal forward pass and B can only accept or decline the 5 yard + LOD penalty for the illegal forward pass.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Agree that the IDF foul should have been waved off:
NF 7-5-6: "Pass eligibility rules apply only to a legal forward pass."
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

What a conincidence, last nights meeting we were shown a crew film with a voice over by the conference supervisor that had exactly this kind of play.

Enforce only the illegal pass was the bottom line as that is the only foul.