The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Last Friday I noticed around 3 minutes before the end of the 1st half that the Home teams L guard was #41, he got switched out after an injury a few minutes prior. The team was on a drive inside their opp. 30 yd line, and I personally decided to let it go and bring it up at halftime. I told my WH about it and he told me I should of thrown the flag then. I was wondering what some of the other guys on the forum think.

In addition, the coach had the player change jerseys at halftime and neither coach complained. Should we penalize as we see or take game situation into account? (HS 5A Varsity game top level)
Thanks!!
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

A "Top level Varsity game", and this illegal formation was permitted to continue? I'd hate to be the crew the following week and have the same situation correctly flagged and have to listen to the coach saying, "they let us play like this last week".

This is as basic a foul as you can get, should be flagged and the player removed until the correct numbering for a lineman is worn. I'm assuming that the numbering for other 6 players on the line are correct. Changing jerseys on the sideline is not a problem.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

I also assume that with #41 playing guard there were only 4 players numbered 50-79 at the snap. I agree with your referee that you should have immediately called the penalty.

However the penalty is Illegal numbering (7-2-5 Penalty) and not illegal formation. The only thing they have in common is the signal is the same for both infractions.

Food for thought:

Of course if they shifted into a scrimmage kick formation with the QB & yards deep taking the long snap #41 could take a position on the line between the ends on every play as the numbering requirement is ignored in this situation. In this case #41 is ineligible throughout the down due to his position.

Additionally, if there are 5 players numbered 50 -79 on the line #41 may line up as the L guard with no penalty. Again, he is an ineligible pass receiver during the down because of his position.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

I might have let this go in a middle school game or an ankle biter game, but VARSITY - no way. At that level, they have to get this right. Flag 'em.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lyle
I might have let this go in a middle school game or an ankle biter game, but VARSITY - no way. At that level, they have to get this right. Flag 'em.
This is not illegal if there are 5 other players 50-79 on the line. He would be ineligible because of his position.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 09:35am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
Of course if they shifted into a scrimmage kick formation with the QB & yards deep taking the long snap #41 could take a position on the line between the ends on every play as the numbering requirement is ignored in this situation. In this case #41 is ineligible throughout the down due to his position.
So if a team runs nothing but shotgun, QB seven yards from center, the numbering requirements are waived? Does your C get protection on every snap as well?
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:
So if a team runs nothing but shotgun, QB seven yards from center, the numbering requirements are waived? Does your C get protection on every snap as well?
Yes to both questions.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
By rule, yes. Now, in practice, most shotgun formations don't have the QB that far behind the line.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 02:22pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by The Roamin' Umpire
Quote:
By rule, yes. Now, in practice, most shotgun formations don't have the QB that far behind the line.
Can you please site NFHS rules references.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: NF 2-14-2 is the definition of a scrimmage-kick formation. and NF 9-4-6 is the prohibition against charging directly into the snapper when A/K is in a scrimmage kick formation.