The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

I am new to football officiating. This is my first year. As football is a passion of mine, this seemed like a logical step. Being female has contributed to the challenges of being a new official. Are there any other female football officials out there? What suggestions can you offer?

Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorti
I am new to football officiating. This is my first year. As football is a passion of mine, this seemed like a logical step. Being female has contributed to the challenges of being a new official. Are there any other female football officials out there? What suggestions can you offer?
We have football officials in our association and I believe there is a woman official in a D1 conference. Keep working at it!
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorti
What suggestions can you offer?
Work hard, study hard, have confidence, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

4 quick items:

- be on time!
- hustle!
- have a perfectly cleaned uniform..and SHINED shoes!
- communicate with your partners!

You go girl!
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

In the short run, the best thing for you to do is become a real student of the rules. Learn 'em inside out, backwards and forwards. Your mechanics and judgment will come through on-field experience. You will gain confidence and respect if know the rules and understand the spirit of the rules.
Best of luck!!
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: We have three female officials in our association. One, in particular, works with my crew frequently on our varsity schedule. She's still fairly new and still learning, but we're glad to have her help out when necessary. We've not heard any overt comments from coaches or players about her not belonging on a football field. In fact, on more than one occasion, a coach has complimented her on her performance. And after a game last season, an assistant coach actually asked her out! She respectfully declined.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

we have a female in our association. she seems to get the kinder side of coaches on the sideline. the only problem i have seen her have was separate changing areas in the locker room. however, this speeds us up in getting dressed so she can rejoin the pregame.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

We have a female in Alabama that has worked many play-off games and one final. She has been accepted as an "official" because of her abilities. I am not trying to tell you she did not receive some grief - she did!

It is tough for all new officials (male or female) to prove themselves. Get in the books, ask questions, find a mentor, accept constructive criticism without excuses, weed through conflicting information without alienating anyone. Your attitude and willingness to learn from others will be your first asset. Athletic abilities will also be a factor.

Officials have to develop a thick skin to begin with. Yours may have to be thicker! An official’s worst critic is another official. Just look through some of these posts! Don’t take it personally.

Love of the game will not make you an official – but it’s a start. Good luck!