The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Rule book says penalty enforcement for roughing the passer is assessed from the "end of the last run".

Case book has a situation where A1 is roughed after his pass to A2 who catches then fumbles. The ball is recovered by A3 ahead of where A2 lost possession. (I don't have the case book on me right now to get exact yardage). The penalty in that situation would be assessed from where A2 lost the ball since that was the end of the last run.

My question is, what happens if A3 picks up the fumble and runs another 20 yards before being tackled. Which run is the "last run". Where would enforce the roughing the passer penalty?

Thanks in advance.

RazorRef
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RazorRef
Rule book says penalty enforcement for roughing the passer is assessed from the "end of the last run".

Case book has a situation where A1 is roughed after his pass to A2 who catches then fumbles. The ball is recovered by A3 ahead of where A2 lost possession. (I don't have the case book on me right now to get exact yardage). The penalty in that situation would be assessed from where A2 lost the ball since that was the end of the last run.

My question is, what happens if A3 picks up the fumble and runs another 20 yards before being tackled. Which run is the "last run". Where would enforce the roughing the passer penalty?

Thanks in advance.

RazorRef
My thoughts on the interpretation.

Last does not mean "previous" as in "the last time you did that, you got hurt.

Last in this case means "final" as in "That was the last snickers bar and the umpire is mad".

I believe last run is synonymous with "final run". So if A3 picks up another 20 yards after recovering a fumble by A2, we add the 15 yards onto the end of A3's run.

Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by RazorRef

Thanks in advance.

RazorRef
My thoughts on the interpretation.

Last does not mean "previous" as in "the last time you did that, you got hurt.

Last in this case means "final" as in "That was the last snickers bar and the umpire is mad".

I believe last run is synonymous with "final run". So if A3 picks up another 20 yards after recovering a fumble by A2, we add the 15 yards onto the end of A3's run.

Agree with Mike, but umpire gets madder if it's the last beer!
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Mike fairly well summed it up. The penalty is tacked onto the end of the very last run by A (when there is no change of possession during the down.)
A recovery with the player on the ground does not constitute a new run. The play ends simultaneous with the player possession so you go back to the end of the last run (where the ball was fumbled, backward pass, etc.).
If there is ANY run after the recovery you start a new run and that's your new enforcement spot at the end of the run.
Take a fumble that goes forward (or backwards), is then recovered by an A player one step before he goes OB. New run. Or he takes a step and falls down. New Run.
See why you want those little WHITE bags on the ground.....

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!