The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Just got done working a JV game, where one the last play of the game eneded in a late hit out of bounds. The referee said since it was a dead ball foul that the game was over. I find it hard to believe that a player can do an unsporting act & get away with since time had expired.
Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 09:59pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeyes
Just got done working a JV game, where one the last play of the game eneded in a late hit out of bounds. The referee said since it was a dead ball foul that the game was over. I find it hard to believe that a player can do an unsporting act & get away with since time had expired.
Buck,
One it is a person foul (not USL). But yes if it is a dead-ball foul and the game has ended, where can you enforce it from if the game is over?
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Game over, even if a USC occured during the last play of the game it would still be gameover.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Game over, even if a USC occured during the last play of the game it would still be gameover.
first of all this is not an unsportsmanlike foul, it is a contact foul. why wouldnt they get another play if it happened during the down? maybe if the penalty is declined the game is over.

[Edited by yankeesfan on Aug 30th, 2005 at 11:24 PM]
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yankeesfan
Quote:
first of all this is not an unsportsmanlike foul, it is a contact foul. why wouldnt they get another play if it happened during the down? maybe if the penalty is declined the game is over.

[Edited by yankeesfan on Aug 30th, 2005 at 11:24 PM]
They wouldn't get to replay the down because this was a dead ball penalty. The ball was dead when the runner went out of bounds (I'm assuming it was the runner that was hit late). Therefore, it didn't happen during the down.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
This might be one of those times that the ref can call good ol 9-9 in the rule book, call it an USC and toss the player. Write it up explaining what happened and then leave it to the state from there. If nothing else it may get to the player in that it makes him sweat it out if he can player the next game or not, even if it doesn't.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

There is nothing the official's can do. Unless it was obvious the late hit was intentional, I would be very hard pressed to call it flagrant and eject him and I think I would lose a lot of credibility.

A dead ball foul after time expires for the 4th quarter and an unsportsmanlike foul during a down in which the 4th quarter expires or after the expiration of the 4th quarter simply cannot be enforced.

Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears

A dead ball foul after time expires for the 4th quarter and an unsportsmanlike foul during a down in which the 4th quarter expires or after the expiration of the 4th quarter simply cannot be enforced.

Unless there is an overtime.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
There is nothing the official's can do. Unless it was obvious the late hit was intentional, I would be very hard pressed to call it flagrant and eject him and I think I would lose a lot of credibility.

I agree Mike, that is why I said might. 8-) USC may be able to be enforced, just not the yardage part obviously.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.