The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

4th/10 from K's 20. K is in scrimmage kick formation with K1 seven yards behind the snapper. K1 receives the snap and begins the kicking motion but his foot hasn't touched the ball when R2 contacts K1 with a hard but legal hit. The ball rolls to R's 40 where K2 falls on it. Ruling?
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 10:56am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Sounds to me like a blocked kick...
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

It's a legal tackle. K1 is a runner up until he actually kicks the ball. K recovers the fumble on the 40 so it's K's ball, 1st & 10.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kdf5
4th/10 from K's 20. K is in scrimmage kick formation with K1 seven yards behind the snapper. K1 receives the snap and begins the kicking motion but his foot hasn't touched the ball when R2 contacts K1 with a hard but legal hit. The ball rolls to R's 40 where K2 falls on it. Ruling?
I'm calling it a forward pass

Cause if I don't, this must have been one heck of a hit to cause the ball to go 27 yards foward!

If K doesn't kick it, this is a fumble. Typing out loud here ..... I don't see how K1 is down because he is still under the exception allowing him to hold the ball with knee(s) on ground. Now if he were knocked to his butt and THEN the ball comes loose, it is a dead ball.

Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

I found an interesting comment in the NFHS Handbook - page 52 - "A kicker does not become a kcker until his foot meets the ball in a punt or a drop kick. Up to that instant he is a runner and since he may fake a kick and try to advance he may be tackled. Once he becomes a kicker, he remains a kicker until he has completely regained his balance. Therefore, the period involved in roughing the kicker begins with his foot contacting the ball and continues until he regains his balance."
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Mike: actually this play is a punt. Sorry if it sounds like a field goal.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
Oops. My bad.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: NFHS and NCAA rules agree that until he puts his foot to the ball, K1 is a runner and can be legally hit and tackled. So the hit is legal. If, subsequent to the hit, he's still able to make contact with the ball, the remaining kicking rules apply; if not, any loose ball would be considered a fumble.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Oops. My bad.
The lenght the ball travelled was a typo on my part. Sorry for that.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

This can't be a fumble... the ball rolled FORTY SEVEN yards (not 27). This had to have been kicked. Contact was legal, and this is a punt. R's ball.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
This can't be a fumble... the ball rolled FORTY SEVEN yards (not 27). This had to have been kicked. Contact was legal, and this is a punt. R's ball.
This is what I first thought when I read the OP. That's a long way for a ball to roll and bobble around so he must have made foot contact. Therefore we still have a basic scrimmage kick.

Now if K1 was hit a split second after regaining his balance we would have "Illegal Blocking" since the "kicker" cannot be blocked before the kick has touched the ground or any other player?

WM
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 05:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
K 1D/10 @ R-40.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
K 1D/10 @ R-40.
If R never touched the ball beyond the neutral zone, how can it be K's ball? Looks like a scrimmage kick untouched by R.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

To keep it simple - K wasn't a kicker so the contact was legal.

If K's foot touched the ball - it's a scrimmage kick and R gets the ball.

If K's foot didn't touch the ball - it's one heck of fumble and it's K's ball. (though I saw his foot kick the ball after the contact, in which case we have an easy call!)
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:32am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Re: Re: Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
K 1D/10 @ R-40.
If R never touched the ball beyond the neutral zone, how can it be K's ball? Looks like a scrimmage kick untouched by R.
Keep in mind that my statement covers the Canadian ruling.

K1 has the ball but gets hit before he can do anything with it. This is a fumble in our game. On a fumble, anybody may legally gain possession of the ball. When K does, and it downed at R's 40, it is many yards beyond the line-to-gain. K 1D.