Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Now that I'm teaching, I wouldn't accept any games at that high school.

I'm also an alumnus of the school, and I'm the assistant AD, so I have a triple reason to not ref there. However, for me, just the first would be enough.
All three of those are good reasons not to work a school.
You guys won't work a game at your old high school?
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Quote:
Quote:

I'm also an alumnus of the school, and I'm the assistant AD, so I have a triple reason to not ref there. However, for me, just the first would be enough.
I don't work games at the HS I graduated at but I don't think we're even allowed to according to the bylaws. Also included are working there and if your children go there. I think there might be other reasons too but I'm not sure.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't work games at the HS I graduated at but I don't think we're even allowed to according to the bylaws. Also included are working there and if your children go there. I think there might be other reasons too but I'm not sure.
Wow, that's interesting. I know that my old HS is having an alumni football day coming up this year, and our assignor is looking to make the crew an all alumni crew for this game.

But in general we can't officiate games where school's we attend or teach at are involved. Other than that, you can work at any school. Once you graduate, you can officiate them.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

from the ghsa code of conduct. . .

Being involved in any action that gives the appearance of a loss of impartiality or neutrality. No official should accept any assignment at a school where he/she graduated within the last 10 years, at a school where he/she is employed, had player-coach contact previously with any coach involved, or has relatives affiliated with a school as a student or an employee.

the complete list can be viewed at ghsa.net
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Texas has a similar restriction but it only exists for 5 years after the end of the relationships. (And even then, if both coaches consent, an official who is within that 5 year window can be assigned to the game, but both coaches have to be made aware of the potential conflict before they consent.)
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

unfortunatly, we never have any officials that young. i feel in that category for a couple of years, but we don't have but about 4 or 5 guys under thirty now.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't, whether there was a policy against it or not.

In a lot of cases, this has to be a personal call. For me, I only graduated 4 years ago, and I have been very involved in my school when I was there and as an alumnus. For someone who is further removed, who has moved out of town, and who wasn't overly involved in the school as a student, it may be different.

I am lucky in one regard, though - my school doesn't have a football team, so I don't have to block out any varsity (timing) assignments.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
I never knew so many teachers refereed too!
Well, sure - teachers have pretty much the perfect work schedule for officiating. And you already know they like working with kids.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 11:05am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Unless it is a Varsity game don't worry about it. I worked JV football games where I am at and my brother in-law was the starting QB. I didn't say a word to anyone other than my brother in-law and my partners and we never had a problem. I even was the referee in the game where my brother in-law seperated his shoulder. Knew people in the stands to. Don't act like it is a problem and it most likely won't be.

I am a BJ on a Varsity crew and I have a varsity game at the same school and my brother in-law plays WR and back-up QB, I'll be doing the game and my crew has no problem with it, I asked them before I officially accepted the game.