The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Other than some timeouts, when are coaches allowed on the field.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

If one of his players is injured, I'll let the coach on the field, as long as he's with the injured player and doesn't coach the rest of his team.

Other than timeouts and injuries, I'd never let a coach out on the field.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Before the game. After the game. Halftime.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 05:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I also tell the coaches that if we are down towards one end of the field I will let them step out a couple steps to signal in his plays but then he must get back. I do it as a courtesy so his QB/def capt can see him more easily.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

By rule, is the coach allowed on the field between the end of the previous down and before the ready for play?
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
By rule, is the coach allowed on the field between the end of the previous down and before the ready for play?
9.8.1 - No coach, substitute, trainer or other team attendant shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the officials assume authority for the contest. Examples are, but not limited to:

f. Holding an unauthorized conference. (Note: Between downs, communications between players and coaches near the sideline are not an unauthorized conference.)

9.8.3 - A nonplayer shall not be outside his team box unless to become a player or return as a replaced player. A maximum of three coaches may be in the coaches area.

By rule I would say no.

WM
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
9.8.1 - No coach, substitute, trainer or other team attendant shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the officials assume authority for the contest. Examples are, but not limited to:

f. Holding an unauthorized conference. (Note: Between downs, communications between players and coaches near the sideline are not an unauthorized conference.)

9.8.3 - A nonplayer shall not be outside his team box unless to become a player or return as a replaced player. A maximum of three coaches may be in the coaches area.

By rule I would say no.

WM
I still don't see a rule that restricts the coach to the coach's box before the ready for play. The Note under 9.8.1 seems to allow it.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
Quote:
I still don't see a rule that restricts the coach to the coach's box before the ready for play. The Note under 9.8.1 seems to allow it.
What about 9-8-1i: No coach, substitute, trainer or other team attendant shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the officials assume authority for the contest. Examples are, but not limited to:...Being on the field except as a substitute or replaced player??

I think f. is just stating that a player can come near the sideline to talk to the coach without it being called an unauthorized conference.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

2-30-10 A non-player is a coach, trainer, other attendant, a substitute or a replaced player who does not participate by touching the ball, hindering an opponent or influencing the play. See 9-6 for illegal participation.

9-8-3 A non-player shall not be outside his team box unless to become a player or to return as a replaced player. A maximum of three coaches may be in the coachesÂ’ area.

So a coach is a non-player and non-players are not allowed to be outside the team box except to become a player. So a coach, by rule, may never be on the field except during an authorized conference.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

After reading the rule references and the casebook, it is crystal clear that the coaches must not be on the field except during an authorized conference. Thanks.