The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Ok.. with all the talk of illegal substitution, participation etc... I was wondering if I could get a clarification on when a sub becomes a player.

The rule book basically says that if a substitute is on the field (and I realize he must be on his side of the neutral zone) and communicates with a "teammate" that he is now a player. My question is...

If a substitute is heading onto the field as described above, and the coach, assistant coach, or a teammate on the sidelines yells something to that substitute, is he now designated as a player instead of a substitute?

I can see where this would make a difference if a sub starts onto the field and then is recalled to the bench area, or if he enters and a replaced player does not leave the field promptly.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Definition of a substitute
A substitute is a team member who may replace a player or fill a player vacancy. A substitute becomes a player when he enters the field and communicates with a teammate or an official, enters the huddle, is positioned in a formation or participates in the play.

Here's my take. There is no definition for a teammate so I look at a "teammate" as another player who is on the field. I think we can read between the lines when we look at the other defintions.

Definition of a Replace Player
A player becomes a replaced player when he has been notified by a substitute that he is to leave the field. A player is also replaced when the entering substitute becomes a player.

This seems to indicate that the reason a substitute communicates with another teammate is to inform him that he is taking his spot as a player.

There are two requirements for a sub to become a player.

REQUIRED
1) He must enter the field (obviously)

AND TWO (Any or all of these make him a player).

2a) Communicates with a teammate (I interpret this to mean another player) OR
2b) Communicates with an official OR
2c) Enters the huddle OR
2d) Is positioned in a formation OR
2e) Participates in the play OR