The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

I am new to officaiting high school football. What does "all but one mean?

Also, is there fair catching on a kickoff?
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keith40
I am new to officaiting high school football. What does "all but one mean?

Also, is there fair catching on a kickoff?
All but one is based on a team getting the advantage of the distance which is gained without assistance of a foul. In short all fouls but a foul by the offense behind the basic spot that is the one are penalized from the basic spot. If you understand that, and what the basic spot is, you have a basic grasp on penalty enforcement. Learn rules 10-3, 10-4, 10-5, and 10-6 well to understand penalty enforcement better. Below my answer to you on fair catches, I will paste a document I created for my crew on penalty enforcement. I do have a couple of emails, with many attachments on each that I would be more than happy to send you if you would like. They have many word documents covering different areas I have created for my crew, and many very good powerpoint doucuments on mechanics for each position and 5 man crews. The PowerPoints I got off of our Iowa state webpage, other state pages, or other officials. I have sent it out to a couple of dozen officials this summer, and have got some good stuff back from some of them as well. Adding resources and gaining as much knowledge as you can will help you continue to improve. If interested, my email is [email protected]

Learn all you can, but it is important as a new official is to learn the definitions, rule 2, and rule 9 - conduct of players and others.

You can learn a great deal asking questions and reading posts on this board. There are many great members to help give you insite and wisdom. No question is to simple, so ask away, and WELCOME TO THE GREAT WORLD OF OFFICIATING FOOTBALL!!!

IMO, one of the best books for a new official is the simplified and illustrtated football manual. It hits the rules in a simplified way, with pictures and play scenarios.

Yes, any legal kick may be fair caught if it is still in flight, meaning has not yet touched the ground. If it hits the ground and pops up, it may not. That is why you see onside kicks driven in the ground to get the high hop, otherwise the team would FC it not worry about getting hit.

Here is my all but one document. It is a little better in word, as it has special formatting which makes it a little easier to explain.

PENALTY ENFORCEMENT: THE ALL BUT ONE PRINCIPLE

If a foul occurs during a down, the basic spot is determined by the action that occurs during the down. This is the basic spot for penalty enforcement.

All fouls, accept a foul by the offense from behind the basic spot, are penalized from the basic spot.

Basic Spot:
1. The basic spot is the previous spot for;
A foul simultaneous with the snap. Ex.: illegal motion, illegal shift, illegal formation, illegal participation (12 players) if unnoticed, others?????
A foul during a loose ball play.
A loose ball play is action during;
A. a free or scrimmage kick
B. a legal forward pass
C. a backward pass (incl. the snap), illegal kick or fumble by A from in or behind the NZ and prior to a change of possession
D. the run or runs preceding a kick, legal forward pass, backward pass, or fumble
2. The basic spot is the spot where the kick ends when R commits a PSK foul. R fouls behind the PSK spot are spot fouls.
3. The basic spot is the end of the run for a foul that occurs during a running play.
4. The basic spot is the succeeding spot for;
An unsportsmanlike foul
A dead ball foul
A nonplayer foul
When the final result is a touchback
A foul by B on a try, FG, or TD if A accepts the points

Enforcement is based on the fact that a team is given the advantage of the distance that is gained, without the assistance of a foul. Therefore, the only foul that would give this aid, is a foul by the offense behind the basic spot.

If a foul occurs, we must know if it occurred during a loose ball play, a running play, or if it became a foul simultaneously with the snap. This determines the basic spot for penalty enforcement.

Special Enforcement Rules:
Free kick OOBs; back 5 yds and rekick, where kick went OOBs, 25 yds from previous spot
Kick catching interference; 15 yds from previous spot and rekick, awarded FC at the spot of the foul
Unfair acts; I can do whatever I want, including award a TD.
Foul by B on a successful try, FG, or TD; Can take penalty enforcement and replay, or enforce on KO.
The basic spot is the spot of possession for a Post Scrimmage Kick foul.

Clock starts on the “ready” or on the “snap”

To know when the clock will start after a penalty, we must know what caused the clock to stop. One magazine said it well, stating that there are “major clock stoppers” and “minor clock stoppers.” With a “major clock stopper”, the clock will start on the snap, and with a “minor clock stopper” the clock will start on the ready. What happened during the down in which the foul occurred determines if we will start the clock on the ready or the snap. If a dead ball foul occurs (false start, late hit, etc…), what happened on the previous down will dictate when the clock will start.

Major clock stoppers –
ball or player with ball ends up OOB,
incomplete pass, whether legal or illegal
COP (change of possession),
delay of game penalty accepted,
time out granted to a team,
attempted try, completed FG, safety, or touchback
period ends
a team attempts to consume time illegally (repeated fouls to stop the clock)
TV or radio timeout
new series to B, not to A following a turn over

Minor clock stoppers –
player ends up with ball in possession and inbounds,
penalty during or between downs,
officials time out for injury, heat & humidity, measurement, coaches conference, equipment repair,
the dreaded inadvertent whistle
new series awarded to A even if a TO is involved