The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Some of you guys probably think I'm going a little overboard in the clothing, and maybe I am. Just want to get all opinions.

So, I'll be wearing either a brief or a thigh length brief, topped by full length tights for support and moisture removal. What I'm curious about is white vs. black. Shirt preference seems to be black, but ultimately, that doesn't matter. I've heard black on the pants so you can tuck you striped shirt in and the stripes don't show.

But forgive my head scratch here: if the stripes would show under the white knickers, wouldn't the black under-garments show as well? I mean, what's the point? Is it a matter of saying, "well, everything looks the same rather than the alternating white and black tucked in."
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

If you get a good quality of white shorts, they cover the shirt totally. The black shorts cover the shirts but do show dark under the knickers.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
White. You'll be able to see the black under the knickers.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

It will depend on the quality or thickness of the knicker. I wear a full length black tights in the colder weeks and nothing shows through at all.
Don't have black compression shorts, but I would guess the same reasoning would apply.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I wear white under armour, the longer kind that go to right above your knees. You can just barely see the strips, if at all. I do wear black long cold weather under armour at times and you cannot see it. I don't think it matters what color you wear, as long as you wear something and you cannot see your shirt, you're good.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

For you guys that are wearing black, what brand of knickers are you wearing so they don't show? Honigs Elite?
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I've only worn Honigs elite knickers so I really don't have much to compare them to. I wear the western top pockets. They fit me better. Pockets don't bunch out or anything, plus I like that they don't have the patch pockets in back. I tried the athletic cut this year but returned them because the fit me bad.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Black Under Armour LONG compression shorts. They do NOT show thru and feel great, and you cannot see the stripes thru them. There is NOTHING like Under Armour. I wear heat gear top and bottom in the heat, and cold gear top and bottom in the cold.

[Edited by MJT on Jul 24th, 2005 at 01:50 PM]
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 09:54am
tpaul

I wear black under armour. top & boittom. shorts in the summer and long in the cold weather...never had a problem with seeing them. They stay cool and dry...or warm and dry in the winter..
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 03:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

I wear the Black Under Armor and Black McDavid angle long tights. I have been wearing these tights or compression shorts for years. They work great and I can wear them for football, basketball and baseball. The stripes never show through the pants. I also wear them in any weather no matter how hot or how cold. The take off all the sweat off your body and you do not feel too hot or too cold. I cannot imagine not wearing anything else or officiating games without them.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 24, 2005, 04:06pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
For you guys that are wearing black, what brand of knickers are you wearing so they don't show? Honigs Elite?

F20 - HONIG'S REGULAR KNICKER

but I am going to try the elit sometime this year. but I have worn the F20 for 7 years now.

[Edited by tpaul on Jul 24th, 2005 at 05:08 PM]
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

In colder weather I wear black full length compression tights. As long as what you're wearing is full length, I don't think it makes a lot of difference if it's black or white because it will be a uniform look under the knickers.
At the beginning of the season I'll typically wear white compression shorts and I stick with the white color because the shorts are not full length. The more important aspect is to make sure you get your shirt tucked in under the shorts so the stripes don't show through the knickers.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

I think the key is what kent said: if full length, it won't matter because it will be consistent from waist to ankle.

I'm going with the black Nike Dri-fit pro (as long as I can find the tights). I like the lighter weight of that over the underarmour, though the UA is cut a little bigger -- which for me is better. The thing I don't like about UA is on the tights the elastic on the ankle is very tight and even for those of us without big feet, the band will stretch and "crack" when you pull them up. This happened when trying them on.

I also wish that these folks would quit sewing them down the middle, Soloman 'split-the-baby' wise. CAN make it somewhat uncomfortable.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
White to the knee in warm or cold for me., Black for the top. I grew up in update NY and PA and used to run in the winter in shorts so the cold does not affect my legs. Upper body I gotta stay bundled thou.

I tuck the strips into the compression shorts and I use Cliff Keens. Don't show at all.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

One thing about wearing the full length tights. I tried wearing my McDavid tights that I wore for baseball and I had a heck of a time with my socks not staying up. I do the roll your socks over trick and everything but they didn't stay up. This isn't a huge issue with the cold weather UA but the heat gear does it.