The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 17, 2005, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

I was working on my test today and decided to read the overtime rules again. My question is: If the play is dead as soon as B gets possession, how in the world can they score a touchdown on the play. Also, it mentions A scoring a safety, how can that happen?
Old Sun Jul 17, 2005, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

It's very unlikely that Team-B could ever score under the standard, unmodifed version of the NF suggested overtime procedure.
Here's how.
safety for B: Team-B tackles Team-A runner in THEIR EZ.
touchdown for B: Team-B recovers Team-A fumble in THEIR EZ.

How exactly did Team-A get pushed back that far is for your own imagination to determine.

Team-A can score a safety when new force was added to a Team-A fumble by a team-B player in which the ball is forced into and out of Team-Bs EZ or recovered by Team-B in their EZ.
Old Sun Jul 17, 2005, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Last year, Utah adopted a new overtime procedure. We place it on the 25 like in college. However we added one more modification, B can now score. If B scores,the game is over.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Overtime procedures are very much state-specific. Each state association can determine its own procedures for resolving ties--including maybe no such procedure at all. The procedure in the Fed rule book is a recommended way to resolve ties--not a mandated one. I've noticed a lot more states going to the NCAA procedure like bjudge described.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Problems arise when states use the NF recommended overtime procedure and don't provide any addtional interpretation or clarification to what is printed in the rulebook.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

The main thing that confuses me about NF's OT is time outs. Not only do second-half time outs carry over to the OT, but teams get one additional TO per OT period. So one team could potentially have seven of them stacked up by the fourth overtime. (At least, that's how we've been interpreting it... I'm not sure if that extra time out is supposed to carry over each time. Rule book's not totally clear on that.)
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jfurdell
The main thing that confuses me about NF's OT is time outs. Not only do second-half time outs carry over to the OT, but teams get one additional TO per OT period. So one team could potentially have seven of them stacked up by the fourth overtime. (At least, that's how we've been interpreting it... I'm not sure if that extra time out is supposed to carry over each time. Rule book's not totally clear on that.)
And the can of worms have been opened!
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I had a multiple overtime (four or five OT ) game once. We had 21 charged timeouts before the day was over. Each OT period each team gets one more timeout.

Actually the players need them to rest and the coaches need them for their stategic play calling so they will use almost every time out they have.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JDLJ
I had a multiple overtime (four or five OT ) game once. We had 21 charged timeouts before the day was over. Each OT period each team gets one more timeout.

Actually the players need them to rest and the coaches need them for their stategic play calling so they will use almost every time out they have.
This is why I said the can of worms has been opened. This was gone over and over a while back on either this, or the McGriff’s board.
In the back of the NF rulebook rule 3-5-1 says "Each team is permitted one additional timeout during each overtime period plus any unused 2nd half regulation timeout's."

One additional timeout for each overtime – plus unused 2nd half timeout’s. So let’s look at this scenario. If team A has 2 - 2nd half timeout’s left and we go overtime, no one will argue that team A will have 3 in the 1st overtime. But, when the 2nd overtime starts, they get “one additional”, plus the unused 2 from the 2nd half, meaning 3 again. It does not matter if they used the 1st additional timeout or not, they have 3, not 4. Rule 3-5-1 does not say they get an additional timeout for each overtime and plus ALL remaining timeout’s, it says “plus any unused 2nd half timeout’s." Therefore a team will never have more than 4 timeout’s in an overtime. Now if they only use 1 timeout in the overtime period, they will have the same number for the next overtime, and therefore may never run out, but they cannot build up 5, 6, 7… timeouts.

Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

I missed that discussion but, in a five over time game you can have 22 timeouts. Assume each team uses 3 each in the half plus each team uses one in each overtime period. That gives you 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 11 per team x 2 = 22 timeouts. Damn tiring game by the way. It rained the whole first half and the second half and overtimes were played in gooey mud.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Don't lose sight of the fact that the NF procedure is a recommedation for a state to adopt as is or not.
Timeouts, is one of those "things" that may be different between states that play some form of NF overtime. Some let'm all carry over, some don't.
Both ways are correct.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I missed that discussion but, in a five over time game you can have 22 timeouts. Assume each team uses 3 each in the half plus each team uses one in each overtime period. That gives you 3 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 11 per team x 2 = 22 timeouts. Damn tiring game by the way. It rained the whole first half and the second half and overtimes were played in gooey mud.
I believe this is the opposite of what MJT is saying (I missed the McGriff discussion also). This is how I interpret what he is saying:

OT 1: 2 second half TO's + 1 OT TO = 3 TO's

Now suppose they don't use any TO's in OT 1.

OT 2: 2 second half TO's + 1 second OT TO = 3 TO's
(i.e., the first OT TO does not "carry over)

Again, the don't use any TO's in OT 2.

OT 3: 2 second half TO's + 1 third OT TO = 3 TO's
(second OT TO does not carry over)

What if they use 1 TO in the first OT? Which TO is "taken" away. In other words, do they charged with a second half TO when they call one (meaning only 1 second half TO would carry over to the 2nd OT) or are they charged with the first OT TO, meaning they can still take both 2nd half TO's to the next overtime. Sorry if they is plain as day in the rulebook...I don't have one in front of the, and also, sorry to confuse you will all the O's and T's.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

PSU213,

My explanation did not conflict with what MJT said. I just showed what can happen if all of the timeouts are used while MJT was only talking about unused timeouts. For example, in the regular game a team can use 6 timeouts but will never have more than 3 available.

I agree with both your and MJT's view that the OT timeouts don't accummulate and the most a team can have unused in an OT period would be 4.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PSU213,

My explanation did not conflict with what MJT said. I just showed what can happen if all of the timeouts are used while MJT was only talking about unused timeouts. For example, in the regular game a team can use 6 timeouts but will never have more than 3 available.

I agree with both your and MJT's view that the OT timeouts don't accummulate and the most a team can have unused in an OT period would be 4.
Gotcha....sorry, wasn't trying to be argumentative. Just trying to clear things up (if anything, just for me).
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Last year on the NFHS board and the PIAA in Pennsylvania both said that time outs do accumulate. So you could have 5,6,7.. in OT. I know that every state is different, but this was a long discussion and that was the outcome.