The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....askthereferee/

You probably already knew this existed however I thought I would post it just in case. Its a Q and A for fans to send in their questions where Markbriet answers them.
Oh if I learned nothing else here I learned not to write in and ask about another officials judgment.
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Something I have noticed is that when we question one another's judgment and/or rule appplication it generally does not evoke the kind of visceral responses that we see when that comes from a fan. But even with fans, we are usually tolerate until they reach the point where they are questioning our ethics. I have heard maybe 1 ref ever question another's ethics. Most of us would never do that.

I recall the Miami-Ohio State game a few years ago when there was a significant dispute about a pass interference call near the end of the game. If you had seen those exchanges you would see how willing we are at times to question one another.
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Q&A from markbreit

Question: I have a question on intentional grounding. Does the pass have to clear the line of scrimmage or does the QB only need to run outside the tackle? -- Harry Tram, Chicago

Markbreit: Intentional grounding has two sections under NFL rules. Number 1: When the quarterback is in the pocket, which is between the outside shoulder of the tackles, he must throw the ball in the vicinity of an eligible receiver in order to avoid intentional grounding. Number 2: When the quarterback is out of the pocket, he does not have to throw the ball near an eligible receiver, but he must get the ball reasonably close to the line of scrimmage or grounding will be called.
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 09:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
I recall the Miami-Ohio State game a few years ago when there was a significant dispute about a pass interference call near the end of the game. If you had seen those exchanges you would see how willing we are at times to question one another.
I bought the poster that was advertised showing the DPI. AIR, the general public learned a bit about our mechanics after that sitch. They wondered why the sideline official didn't throw the PI when it was 'right in front of him'. The deep guy throew the flag.

The answer is simple: keys. AKA, primary responsibility.
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Something I have noticed is that when we question one another's judgment and/or rule appplication it generally does not evoke the kind of visceral responses that we see when that comes from a fan. But even with fans, we are usually tolerate until they reach the point where they are questioning our ethics. I have heard maybe 1 ref ever question another's ethics. Most of us would never do that.
This is completely and 100% understandable. I can't think of another profession that this statement would fit better then officiating in any of the major sports. In other words it is understandable why an official might have their hand on their gun from the get go. You probably get allot of undeserved flack and I am sure it takes some thick skin at times.
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Someone here said that the players don't know the rules much better then the fans do or something to that effect. Its ironic because that question was asked to Markbreit and though he may have been more politically correct with his answer, he echoed those sentiments.

Question: I recall reading that Don Shula used to give his players written quizzes on the rules of the game. In your opinion, is the typical NFL player similarly well versed in the rules that you discuss in your column? --Paul Auh, Philadelphia

Markbreit: NFL football is very complicated, and the playbooks that have to be committed to memory by the players are hundreds of pages in volume. It would be nice if I could say that the players are well versed on the rules, but because of the time involved in learning the NFL rules, I have to say that they are not. The only true experts are the NFL officials, who spend 52 weeks a year studying the rulebook and case book. It is a life's work to be a true rules expert. The players just don't have the time. I am sure that Don Shula gave the quizzes to his players so that they would have a rudimentary understanding of the basic rules of the game.

I read all of the 2005 questions posted to Markbreit and some of the 2004 before my eyes conked out on me. Its very good reading material if you have not been there. You have to register (its free) but its worth the time. The link is above
Old Sun Jul 17, 2005, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Ram, You have been spending a lot of time on this officiating forum. I'm starting to get the feeling that you are starting to take an interest in our brotherhood. What do you say? You ready to give back to the game that has entertained us all? Nothing better than putting on the stripes and having the best seat in the stadium.
Old Sun Jul 17, 2005, 11:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

You should meet the man in person. He is just as engaging as he is in those articles.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
Ram, You have been spending a lot of time on this officiating forum. I'm starting to get the feeling that you are starting to take an interest in our brotherhood. What do you say? You ready to give back to the game that has entertained us all? Nothing better than putting on the stripes and having the best seat in the stadium.
I have learned alot here and not just what comes out of the rule book either. And yes I have taken an interest. I have read several articles on what it is that officials do to prepare for the season and for games. I have learned that they strive to keep officiating the same team no more then 2 or 3 times a year. I learned what they do when they go to Texas before the year starts. I have learned what percentage of correct calls are acceptable, I have learned what dteps it takes to become an official where you start, the road through grade school, high school, small colleges, big colleges and arena. If you make it to NFL Europe, your then just one step away from the big time. I learned that officials get to their gigs on the day before the game and they then have a meeting about an hour after the last official arrives. The meeting consists of a training tape of plays from previous weeks and examples of specific rules for that week. The crew then views a tape highlighting the plays stopped for replay, both coaches challenges and the replay official from the preceding week. The crew reviews the video of the game that they officiated the preceding week. The crew discusses an exam that is given them each week in order to keep them as sharp as possible on the rules. I have been doing much reading in trying to understand not just the rules but the officials duties and preperation as well.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 12:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Not everyone is hired from NFL Europe. Many are hired directly from D1 conferences. The Big Ten and the MAC have many officials that came from those conferences.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Not any more.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Not everyone is hired from NFL Europe. Many are hired directly from D1 conferences. The Big Ten and the MAC have many officials that came from those conferences.

Peace
Dommer1 is correct. Nowadays they all will do at least one stint in NFL Europe before NFL. I know that from 3 current sources in the NFL. That doesn't mean a whole year necessarily. Often they will go over for a couple of 2-3 week stints and get in 3-4 games each time.

Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

A regular season in Europe, for an official, consists of two trips over with two games on each trip (that's four games). If you are lucky, you get to work five (that would be the World Bowl).

I think there was one, or perhaps two, crews that got only one trip over (two games).
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dommer1
... If you are lucky, you get to work five (that would be the World Bowl).
REPLY: "Lucky" ...and GOOD!