The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

14 weeks, two days and 4 hours until my first varsity game, but who's counting?
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Do you really find out your schedule this early? A friend of mine from a NJ chapter (Shore or Central - forget which) says he gets his before the Summer. We don't get ours until our first meeting which is the end of August.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

I've had the varsity portion of my sections 2005 football schedule now for about two maybe three weeks.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

we used to get our CNY varsity schedule
in late summer--
here in SW FL they give us our games in
two week increments---
UGH !!!
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Do you really find out your schedule this early? A friend of mine from a NJ chapter (Shore or Central - forget which) says he gets his before the Summer. We don't get ours until our first meeting which is the end of August.
We work as a crew and not part of an assoc. In Nebraska the school activities association schedules all football games. They took this over about 4 years ago to ensure that district opponents played each other and that the weak teams didn't dodge the stronger ones.

They schedule games for a two year period, so in February of '04 they released the schedule and then it became a feeding frenzy of AD's calling crews and assigning games. We had our '04 and '05 schedule in a matter of about half an hour. It will happen again next winter for 2006-2007. Some calls are for great games, some not so great. Then for the next day or two you get the occasional call from an AD who couldn't fill a particular date.

Old Wed May 25, 2005, 11:31pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

1 day, 19.5 hours
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Here in northern NJ, I've had a good portion of my varsity HS schedule for about a month. There are still holes in it. but the games I've received are finalized. In some cases, I may not know exactly what school I'll be working at, but I at least know the conference.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Mike, 1 day and 19.5 hours! Where are you working Saturday? I am timing the two OV games at Nelson on Saturday. I'm not on the field until next weekend.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Here is Wisc., I already have my 2006 football season booked solid. Most of those games were booked in November/December of 2004! I even have one contract for 2007.

Games are assigned by the conference commissioners (many non-conference games are assigned by the local AD). The commissioners work 2 years ahead and start after the season is over. It's nice for us established crews, but makes it tough for new crews.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 04:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Our association assigns all the games. We get them one of the last week of meeting. They also assign scrimmages. I prefer it this way. We have an assignment committee that is a 2 year term and half of them get voted on every year.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 04:23am
Official Forum Member

I can't speak for all associations here in Canada, but in my association, you don't get the games until the start of the season. I think most associations are the same. Schedules are only set from year to year. And we don't have set crews. With so much football, it would be impossible. Games are assigned by association schedulers. I have my spring and summer schedule now, but won't get my high school and fall minor ball until the beginning of September. Even then, it is not uncommon to get a call on Tuesday to do a game on Thursday. I do about 40 games a year, but there are others who do a lot more than me. One fellow I know did over 80 games last year.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wisref2
Here is Wisc., I already have my 2006 football season booked solid. Most of those games were booked in November/December of 2004! I even have one contract for 2007.

Games are assigned by the conference commissioners (many non-conference games are assigned by the local AD). The commissioners work 2 years ahead and start after the season is over. It's nice for us established crews, but makes it tough for new crews.
The one danger for the schools in booking that far ahead is the occasional crew who quits or has to give up a contract for some other reason. With every one booked that far in advance it's tough to find a crew with an open date. Every once in a great while I get a call because a crew has turned back in a contract.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 03:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Cagey
Hey Mike, 1 day and 19.5 hours! Where are you working Saturday? I am timing the two OV games at Nelson on Saturday. I'm not on the field until next weekend.
Hi K,

I did the OV league opener in KW Friday (last) night.

I had the same assignment last year. I think it's because the coaches know after the league opener, the officiating can only get better.
Old Sun May 29, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Did you know that yesterday there were 18 OV and Jr OV games. That is 102 officials needed yesterday alone for OV ball, not to mention another 72 for stick crews and timers. There was also some minor ball played yesterday. And when I signed on, I was told that football was only a three month season. Yeah right! I have one game next Saturday and two next Sunday. Where are you next week?
Old Sun May 29, 2005, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cagey
Did you know that yesterday there were 18 OV and Jr OV games. That is 102 officials needed yesterday alone for OV ball, not to mention another 72 for stick crews and timers. There was also some minor ball played yesterday. And when I signed on, I was told that football was only a three month season. Yeah right! I have one game next Saturday and two next Sunday. Where are you next week?
I sure know how to pick the best weekend to tell Murray that I'm not available.