The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Question

Is a bandana that is completely covered by the helmet considered illegal equipment?
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Personal opinion (without looking it up in the rule book)- No, as long as it is completely covered by the helmet and there are no knots protuding outside the helmet for someone to grab onto.

Our crew makes a point to discuss this with both the coaches in our pregame.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Topshelf
Is a bandana that is completely covered by the helmet considered illegal equipment?
Per rule (NFHS and NCAA) no.
However, I've heard some NFHS states do not allow/permit them. Which ones, I don't really know as it does not apply where I work.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Tom is correct...in fact, a few years back the Federation had a rule proposed that would have added bandanas to the list of illegal equipment. When it came to a vote, the proposal was defeated.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
The reason it keeps coming up is that the helmet manufacturers say that the helmets are not manufactured to be wearing a bandana, or anything else, underneath. Therefore the warrantee is void, and the manufacturers will fight any claim for injury that occurs to a player wearing things under the helmet.
City of Seattle schools had a rule against a few years ago but they dropped it.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Several years ago, we were told that players in NC were not allowed to wear bandanas, do-rags or skull caps. We later learned that the decision was based on gang related activity at a school.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 10:14pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

There is a league here, the OVFL, that will not allow bandanas.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Our Association ( Green Bay Officials Association) and the WIAA (Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association) last year instructed us to not allow a player to wear anything under the helmet unless it was approved by the manufacturer. These instructions were to the coaches and officials in the annual football meetings. The presenter noted the manufacturer's stance regarding injuries.

As ump, I will instruct coaches and players that they cannot be worn, not part of the legal equipment. Our state meetings are in August. I will see if the direction has changed then.
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

What do these helmet manufacturers say about a players hair style?
Is it "cut" to their specifications? Do they make helmets that fit the wide range of lengths and styles? I doubt it.

If they really (the Mfg companies) don't approve the wearing of under helmet head items, including long hair why then is it that the safety conscious NF rules committee people have not come out right and ruled against these items?
My educated guess is that they don't beleive there is a problem and therefore have not ruled it is illegal equipment. Have there been any documented cases of head trauma related to the wearing of such an item? I know of none.

Maybe time will change that way of thinking, but at the present time, the items are legal equipment. Gang related reason are a totally different aminal and if so told to disallow such an item, I'd comply without a second thought.
Old Sat Jul 02, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Theisy, you may have a point but if your state association says they're illegal the you have to enforce it, simple as that.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
What do these helmet manufacturers say about a players hair style?
Is it "cut" to their specifications? Do they make helmets that fit the wide range of lengths and styles? I doubt it.

If they really (the Mfg companies) don't approve the wearing of under helmet head items, including long hair why then is it that the safety conscious NF rules committee people have not come out right and ruled against these items?
My educated guess is that they don't beleive there is a problem and therefore have not ruled it is illegal equipment. Have there been any documented cases of head trauma related to the wearing of such an item? I know of none.

Maybe time will change that way of thinking, but at the present time, the items are legal equipment. Gang related reason are a totally different aminal and if so told to disallow such an item, I'd comply without a second thought.
I don't know of any trauma reports due to bandanas and the like, but I have not researched the topic. I'm guessing the mfg companies are "against" bandanas b/c the "helmets aren't made to protect a head with a bandana on it" since this would be a liability issue if someone got hurt. They are against it, I would imagine, more to protect their rear ends than anything else. That being said, I don't know why the NF and more state associations would not forbid bandanas under the helmets if only for the same reason.

I think this is a valid point Theisey, as is the hair issue.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 09:38pm
tpaul

I remember being told that they were illegal when I first started as an umpire but after being told that, I then looked it up and could not find anything that said that it is ilegal...